• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1 Sqn ISAF Medals

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
What about OP Atlanta down at Northwood. We had one of our guys go down there for 4 months and was awarded a navy medal for it. Would he be allowed to wear it?

Don't see why not it's a UK force (albeit an inferior one)....I'm sure the Royal family mix and match !

Crack on..........................:pDT_Xtremez_09:

Climebear

Flight Sergeant
IIRC correctly foreign campaign medals can only be worn by UK Forces if HM the Queen has given specific authorization.

As we have seen earlier in this thread this authorization will not be given if there is a UK medal issued that covers the same operation/period of time.

If there isn't a UK medal in issue (ie NATO medals for various Balkan Ops and several UN Medals) then the case for wearing is based on similar criteria to the award of a UK medal. Primarily, there must be significant degrees of 'risk and rigour' to personnel on the operation. It would appear that this is being applied more stringently than in the 1990s (ie NATO medal for personnel in Italy who did not fly over the Balkans and GSM (Air Ops Iraq) for personnel who did not fly over Iraq) - which is why those at DOBs in the Gulf are not awarded a medal. Campaign medals are not awarded for being away from home (hence no Falklands medal following the cessation of Op CORPORATE in the 1980s) or making a valuable contribution to the op from far away.

I believe that the list of foreign medals that HM the Queen has approved tp be worn by Her armed forces is detailed in JSP 761 Tri-Service Regulations for Military Honours and Awards (though I don't have access to it here).

The Royal Navy don't have specific campaign medals. If it was a UK Op that justified a medal then the criteria for award and wearing will be published. That said, in addition to PJHQ, Nortwood is also to a NATO Maritime HQ so your firend could have been given a NATO medal of some sort. Given the judging criteria I would be surprised if a UK or foreign campaign medal for someone serving in Northwood would qualify (even though Watford is a rough night out and South Oxhey must be twinned with Gaza) - it would be the same as giving OSM(Afghanistan) to PJHQ folk!

Incidentally, the same applies to honours and awards issued to UK personnel; an old boss of mine had to apply to be able to wear the US DFC awarded to him. It was approved. I understand that this also applies to foreign awards made to members of the Royal Family; however, I would guess that it is easier for them to gain HM the Queen's authority to wear them.

Last edited:

ninjarabbi

Warrant Officer
Why not just wait until you leave and have them mounted then. I for one cannot wait to add my Xmas cracker Saudi and Kuwaiti medals onto the clasp!