• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A few questions about joining RAF Regiment

Hello all,
I'm thinking about maybe joining the RAF Regt, and I've already got an application on the go for another force (hint: it's that one with them floaty things on the water), and I don't want to endanger that application by asking in my AFCO about the RAF. So my questions:
1. Can I transfer my application or would it be better to cancel it and start again?
2. If I was to apply tomorrow, how long would it take me to get in (assuming all went to plan)?
Thanks
Edited to add: I have seen other threads, but none recent so I thought I'd be better off making a new one

Last edited:

matty1012

LAC
Potential Gunner,

You cannot transfer applications you would have to start again, the only way you can transfer applications is if the AFCO tell you your trade has been closed during your application process.

I am going for avionics and I started my application end of May 2012 and have my dates for Halton on the 10th of Oct 2012, so for me it was 4 and a bit months. However I know a regiment guy who was in and started his training within 3 months of applying. This is because the regiment have a higher recruitment turnover. Eg people go on their 1st tour, don't like it and then leave.

Hope that helps.

Matty1012

LilStill

Sergeant
Hi PotentialGunner,

If you're not sure about asking questions in the AFCO, remember the RAF does have an information line as well you can ask questions of.

Phone 0845 605 5555 (8am to 8pm Monday to Friday, 9am to 6pm on Saturday, or 10am to 4pm on Sunday)

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
Hello all,
I'm thinking about maybe joining the RAF Regt, and I've already got an application on the go for another force (hint: it's that one with them floaty things on the water), and I don't want to endanger that application by asking in my AFCO about the RAF. So my questions:
1. Can I transfer my application or would it be better to cancel it and start again?
2. If I was to apply tomorrow, how long would it take me to get in (assuming all went to plan)?
Thanks
Edited to add: I have seen other threads, but none recent so I thought I'd be better off making a new one

1. You can have concurrent applications for other services as well as the RAF. When/if you get to the Offer of Service Interview, you will need to make a decision then about what you are going to do.

2. Gnr is currently recruiting so you will find the application process starting quite quickly. How long it takes is a bit of a 'how long's a piece of string' question in that there are factors that will be affected by you - availability for appointments, fitness, etc - and factors that are affected by the RAF - security clearance, places on PGSC, etc. It can be done quite quickly but do not take that as a given. In theory, provided everything goes to plan, you can be in between 3-6 months. But do not take that as gospel.

If you are worried about going into the AFCO (I don't know why as you aren't commited to any service until Offer of Service and not being confident enough to approach someone isn't exactly a positive if you're looking at coming to us), as Lilstill has recommended, contact the RAF Recruiting Hotline.

Good luck.