• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A levels?

• Thread starter Thread starter tenakakhan1989
  • Start date Start date
T

tenakakhan1989

Hi everyone, I was wondering if I joined as a A.technician would I have the opportunity to study an A level or two at some point? Like is that easily done?
Also I read somewhere that Aircraft Technicians travel more because they are assigned to a squadron and so they go wherever they are needed, is this true? Because I would want to join more if I was going to travel more.
Thanks

M

Military_Muscle

I'm not sure about A-levels, I don't see why not. Especially if they're going to help you with your trade (Maths,Science etc.)

Hopefully someone will come along and tell you, if not you could always call your AFCO.

:PDT_Xtremez_30:

K

Krusty_Crab

Joining as an A Tech, you'll do 2.5 months basic training at Halton followed by 5.5 months of Flight Line trainining at Cosford, then you'll be off for your first tour for 18 months preparing and recovering aircraft probably on a shift system. So for the next 2 years there won't be a lot of opportunity to study! After that you'll be back to Cosford for over a year to do your Technician training and you'll earn your NVQ Level 3 Modern Apprenticeship. Rather than go for A-levels you'll probably want to get some more engineering qualifications, get on a Foundation degree course and get a Degree with the Open University. So rather than getting some A-levels you ought to think about professional qualifications. A-Levels are really a stepping stone to either going to College/Uni or to prove to an employer that you are reasonably intelligent. They don't really have any intrinsic value beyond that (IMHO). IF you've been accepted as an A Tech, then knuckle down for the next 3-4 years and set your sights on some professional Engineering qualifications.

Back