• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A moral dilemna.....

awake2

LAC
Firstly a hello from me as I'm new on here and, secondly, my moral dilemna of which any amount of advice would be very welcome:

Allow me to explain.

I am 34 and have always had aspirations of joining the Regiment. However I did things differently (by choice). I wanted to get out there and do as much as possible then finish my career off doing the one thing I always wanted to do. I now face 2 options:

1) Do I join as a gunner? My only question here is "am I going to be seen as too old"? I know the max age limit is 35 but you get what I mean, hopefully.

2) Do I join as an officer? Although again I am eligible, would I be seen as too old and the gaffers at OASC and indeed PROC would prefer me to join as a gunner.

Hey I'm open for both but I obviously wanted a bit of wisdom and advice to help me choose the most "risk-free" route in doing this as I will only have this one shot.

Soon To Leave

Proud To Serve
What are the waiting times?

As things are a bit tight you could consider joining as a gunner and later apply as an officer as there's a bit more flex if you're already in.

KingGuin

Sergeant
Go commissioned. Before you get to OASC you have to do PROC at Barnham. If you pass that then get through OASC you're quids in, otherwise you can be a Gnr. Simple.

awake2

LAC
Thanks for the reply guys. That was what I was thinking but from what I've heard it can take up to a year to go through the motions for a comission and only around 4-5 months for gunner.

I assume if you apply for the latter it doesn't matter what age you are (within reason) for recommendation to go to OASC??

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
It's going to be very difficult to go through training and be a gunner at 34/5 when you have to train alongside 17/18 year olds (almost half your age) I fear...You will have feck all in common expect the goal of being a gunner and even then the way you hold that goal in your mind will differ as well...If you're academically qualified already for a commission this will alter your outlook on your gunner trainees who may struggle to find a GCSE amongst them...socially you will be very different and it could be quite lonely imo...

Go for a commission or look at other trades before leaping into what could be a bit of a mistake?

awake2

LAC
You raise a very valid point there so thanks for that. From what I can see there aren't really any other trades available as I'm "too old". Maybe I left this one a little too late but I will not give up!

awake2

LAC
I had thought about that but the nearest squadron is decades away! The perils of living in the sticks!

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
Your age will not go against you as long as you are fit enough and I know plenty of 40 year olds who regularly outrun the teenagers.

If you want to be a Regiment Officer then go for it otherwise there is nothing to stop you from applying as a Gunner. But make up your mind one way or the other before you register your interest because if you apply for officer but don't get selected at PROC you would have to begin your application for Gunner from the beginning again by which time you will already have been in the recruiting process for a few months. You do have the option of applying for Gunner now and then applying for a commission a bit down the road (the upper age limit is higher for serving airmen), if you would prefer to do it that way.

Pop into your nearest Armed Forces Careers Office and ask them for a copy of the RAF Regiment DVD, that should help you decide which way you want to go.