• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A quick hello...

• Thread starter Thread starter Soarer20
  • Start date Start date
S

Soarer20

Hi, thought I'd make an introduction!

I'm Mark, from Swindon, I'm 29 and just started the ball rolling to join.
I currently work full time in vehicle parts departments where I've been since leaving school.

I took a trip to my "local" AFCO in Bristol last week and have my AST on the 15th of this month.

I'm being fairly open-minded about what trade to join into, my GCSE's from 13 years ago were not great, not bad, C's in English and Science with a D in Maths and a few others.

First choice is Aircraft Maintainence Mech, although I know it's closed I was advised I could sit the AST, hang on for it to open up and go in as undergraduate, depending on time due to my age.
Other areas I'm thinking of are Supply or Movements.

A few questions...

If I am not able to join my chosen trade, what else could I choose that would put me hands-on working with or around aircraft?

I'm getting married in November, so won't start training until after then, and the good lady is concerned it's not a great way to begin married life. What will happen after basic training? do I qualify for married quarters and she will come with me? Is there anything reassuring I can tell her?

Any help is appreciated!

Regards,
M.

K

Krusty_Crab

You mean Unqualified (rather than Undergraduate!!) Don't be put off by the term UQ. GCSE's are fairly unreliable as an indicator of potential. ASTs are what counts. Some people don't do well at school for a variety of reasons, not because they're 'thick'. Some schools are cr*p and bad behaviour by other pupils drag the rest of the class down or the teaching is poor. Some people are lazy at school but when they leave see the error of their ways and knuckle down and do better than their 'qualified' colleagues.

If you go AMM you'll do 3 months at Halton followed by 6 months at Cosford. You won't be entitled to Family housing until you complete Cosford. You'll only get home at Weekends but not for the first 2 or 3 weeks at Halton. You may have to work some weekends at Cosford (but not many). So for 9 months you'll be a weekend husband and you'll have to get back Sunday Night as Mon morning is an early start. You may not get a house straight away at your first proper unit either. It depends on whether there are houses available immediately.

Last edited:
Back