• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A sortie or not?

• Thread starter Thread starter Trenchards Ghost
  • Start date Start date
T

Trenchards Ghost

When is a sortie not a sortie?
Where is it laid down that a jockey must hand back his trusty steed to it's trainers for a quick servicing?

The reason being some jockies seem to me to be reluctant to shut down the engine (power still applied) for whatever reason. When in my oppinion they are well within their remit to do so. Wait for whatever reason (weather/ops) then restart. Choppers being the perfect example.
Now there seems to be a disagreement in the crew room about this.
Argument one as above.
Argument two is that at least an auth level G must make the call on whatever servicing is required as per the JAP.
Over to the floor.

Weebl

Flight Sergeant
If the Engines have been started and then shut down, you either need to be on cont ops or you need to service the aircraft.

Sospan

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
When is a sortie not a sortie?
Where is it laid down that a jockey must hand back his trusty steed to it's trainers for a quick servicing?

The reason being some jockies seem to me to be reluctant to shut down the engine (power still applied) for whatever reason. When in my oppinion they are well within their remit to do so. Wait for whatever reason (weather/ops) then restart. Choppers being the perfect example.
Now there seems to be a disagreement in the crew room about this.
Argument one as above.
Argument two is that at least an auth level G must make the call on whatever servicing is required as per the JAP.
Over to the floor.

The JAP is quite straight forward, the Level G auth will make the decision in conjunction with the aircraft Capitan.

But specific aircraft types may vary on this so the 2R1 is you best bet.

Some aircraft can have a Post Taxi servicing to restore the BF, 2R1 will also confirm this.

T

Trenchards Ghost

Thanks for the answers, but where does it say that an engine start constitutes a sortie?
If the Captain signs for a jet starts then ops calls a 50 min delay if he shuts down you are into the realms of at least a PTR to recover. Where does it say that he has to return the aircraft to the responsible maintenance organisation?
I've checked the JAP and the 2R1 and they are clear what is to be done when he does return the jet. What it doesn't state (or I can't find it) is when he has to return it. What is to stop him shutting it down and then starting back up again choppers used to do it all the time and that was when they weren't on continuous ops (admittedly they do have different problems like rotors whizzing about etc)
How about engine starts, jockey not too happy with the parameters shuts down immediately, says to starter crew I'm going to give that another go and it's fine 2nd shot? The legality as argued by some is that it should be serviced or at least a level G consulted, my argument is that it's still upto the jockey at this point as he hasn't returned the jet.

Sospan

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
You are quite correct, as usual its down the grey definition of 'aborted' I am sure this will be more specific in the aircrew ops book for that aircraft type. Perhaps a call to the OCU instructors might be an idea.

Back