• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Abroad more than 28 days

• Thread starter Thread starter shaniqu
  • Start date Start date
S

shaniqu

Hello everyone,
I'm a recent modern language graduate (French, German and Spanish) looking to join up as an intelligence analyst (voice) or linguist and rang up to set the ball rolling today but I've just noticed that people who've spent more than 28 days abroad in the last five years might have a problem getting accepted. I've spent roughly two of the last five years abroad, mostly as a compulsory part of my language degree. Considering the field I want to go into specifically requires language skills which generally you have to go abroad to get it seems ridiculous that I might be turned down just on the basis of that, but is that really how it works? If I waited five years and stayed at home in the meantime, I'd be 28 by the time I was eligible, so it's now or never as far as I'm concerned. Can anyone tell me how these things work?

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Absolute common sense as displayed by your good self there. I was tripped up by this as I had been living in the UK for only 2 years after a brief period of 10 short years abroad - and having served for around 20 before that.

If there is a case for you there, your case ought to be referred to the Defence Vetting Agency (independent bunch), amongst whose requests will be for you to obtain certificates of good conduct through the consulates of every country you will have lived in whilst out of town.

I say ought, because when I reverted to the RAF with a question regarding this, they simply said they had changed their mind now, no matter if i presented adoption papers from Jesus himself.

The definitive answer is then to apply and see what the careers people's posture on this situation is now.

Back