• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Advice from RAF Tradesman needed

T

The-Metatron

Ok fellas, It's quite long so try and stick with, I'm ex-HMP and have been mulling over the forces for the past 2-3 years, finally convinced the woman to let me go for it. I'm 35 this year ( end of July ), have 2 kids ( 2nd due in Dec ), I'm not married but been with the misses 6 years. Reason for the post is simple, my local Afco keep telling me different things so please help :

1 - Can she and the kidddies live " on base " in quarters

2 - I've been talked out of the firefighter and Gunner Trades by the local Afco as in there words the trainnings REALLY hard for Gunner ( Implying I'm some sort of Fat waste of air ), obviously time is essential, as the age for cut off is getting closer. So I've wittled it down to this - Caterer - Steward or Gunner, because quite simply If I wait for the Firefighter trade to open I may be to old for selection. Then the boat will have well and truly sailed.

Completely different I know, but to be honest just getting in will be a plus. I've passed the AST and thats the reason for the " Head Limbo " as I did quite well and was told providing I meet the eligibility requirements there's no trade I can't do, GREAT ! Not especially. I have no A levels and all GCSE's are above G but none at C or above. So I've hunted high and low for info on both, ended up here. I'm in it for the long haul, have a good idea of what I'm getting into from speaking to Ex RAF co-workers at the Prison ( Staff not Scrotes ), I'm well aware of what most of you reckon to the Stewards and have picked up on a rumor the trade might be contracted out. So whats the story from your angle ?Any stewards out there who can give me an honest insight as to what you do ? Not sure I can shine other peoples shoes but I can graft, anyone joined or attempted to join close to my age ? How hard / what advice on career ?

br9mp81

Corporal
is it the raf or just the forces you want,the army have a prison type unit at the moment for the stan,not sure if its full time or ta,but they may welcome some one with your background and experence

T

The-Metatron

Hi, to be honest fella, I've pretty much researched my options and was just looking for some " inside " info from some of the trades I'm eligible for in the RAF, not too interested in returning to Prison work. Though I'll have a little dig and see whats what. Thanks for the reply.