• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Advice please.

Hello chaps,

I am an ex MTD and my son (age 23) is quite keen to join the RAF as an logistics officer. He has the qualifications and I have arranged a visit to Odiham for him which he thoroughly enjoyed. The visit answered a lot of his questions but he is now doubting himself. He is putting off filling in the forms, I want to encourage him (but not push him) but I know very little about officer training or life as an officer. Can anyone offer advice that I can then show him?

Many thanks

Billy Whizz

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Hello chaps,

I am an ex MTD and my son (age 23) is quite keen to join the RAF as an logistics officer. He has the qualifications and I have arranged a visit to Odiham for him which he thoroughly enjoyed. The visit answered a lot of his questions but he is now doubting himself. He is putting off filling in the forms, I want to encourage him (but not push him) but I know very little about officer training or life as an officer. Can anyone offer advice that I can then show him?

Many thanks

You may struggle to find many Officers on the Goat - unless you're v lucky - but I think there's a big post about OASC on Pprune (Military Aircrew) that may provide some of the answers you need. Its a "sticky" so you'll find it at the top of the forum.

Flybynight

Flight Sergeant
Hello chaps,

Many thanks

Are you sure you're not doing too much for him at 23? As someone who's been both, admittedly a long time ago and not for an enormous length of time (3 + 5 = 8 yrs) while I was Thinking About Life's Directions, I suggest he needs to take responsibility for himself. Maybe he is already but if he isn't it will definitely show up at at OASC and probably at AFCO. Don't worry, all is not lost, but your son must really want to do this for his own sake, not (forgive me) for yours. Also, he must be able to assert this calmly in the face of selectors who will suggest he doesn't - it's a standard line of argument at OASC, I had it and so did many others I knew, which was intended to find out how the candidate reacts to stress and whether he/she can think on his/her feet. Amongst other things your son is likely to be asked is why your son wants to do logistics, why in the RAF in particular, and what is he doing now. "If at first you don't succeed..." sometimes a spell as an airman and/or in the RAF Reserve first helps. Best wishes to both of you and good luck!

There are more goating officers than some might think. The exquisites on Pprune can at times be decidedly precious.

:triumphant:

Last edited:
Thank you for the replies and the PM's.

Flybynight, this is all his idea and all I am doing is supporting him. The hard work will all be down the him not me!

FOGHORN LEGHORN

Sergeant
It might be worth him joining egoat and asking specific questions. I am coming to the end of IOT and will be starting logistics training later in the year. I can advise him on his application and give him pointers for IOT. I can't advise on life as an officer yet as I am just starting that journey. If he has doubts about his ability he should know that OASC don't expect the finished article to arrive at cranwell. They will spot potential and as long as he prepares properly there's no reason he shouldn't succeed. Visiting stations, building a political awareness and also practising briefing a team with a bit of problem solving thrown in would be a good start. There is lots of info on the goat if you use the search. PM me and if I can help I will.

Back