• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

AFCO Interview/Leadership Potential (and/Direction)

• Thread starter Thread starter TalkToMeGoose
  • Start date Start date
T

TalkToMeGoose

Hi guys,

I'm currently applying to join the RAF as either a Weapon Systems Officer or a Weapon Systems Operator (Linguist) and i have a couple of questions to raise that would really help me focus my research.

I've just received my AFCO formal interview date of the 23rd Feb and i'm really looking to clear a few things up.

I'm busy arranging proof of "leadership potential" at the moment and it is as follows: I've contacted my local ATC to arrange volunteer work, I'm about to book flying lessons, i'm looking at going to visit RAF Cranwell and a few other bases and i'm organising a Charity Parachute jump with the proceeds going to Help For Heroes.

My main questions are thus:
1) How much of this should i have completed before my formal interview? Can it be in the time between interview and selection training at Cranwell and if so how would this reflect? Locically i can't be expecting to have completed everything by such a stage and i doubt i could if i tried so i'm leaning towards the visits being the priority at this stage. Thoughts?

2) Given that which job role/aircraft you are assigned comes after the interview and test process how can this reflect my trade research? Timescales, history and fitness can be memorised with effort but i really can't find out much about my chosen trades. This leads me to think that a great deal of my time should be invested meeting people in the role and talking to people on this website. The vague description of the RAF website makes me smell a trap. How do you know which bases to visit and people to speak to if you don't know the aircraft or job role?

Any advise or knowledge would be appreciated. I can always put back my interview date. Do we have any Weapon Systems Officers on here?

Cheers,

Andy

Last edited:
H

heyflygirl

1. I'm sure the fact that you ARE doing them, rather than HAVE done them will be enough at this stage. Your still showing the initiative and the qualities they are looking for by planning them in the first place.

2. I found a good link on thestudentroom.co.uk. It was a powerpoint presentation, and showed the training for a few of the officer branches and NCO aircrew, involving where, how long for, how many hours training on what aircraft, at what point you are streamed and then what to. If you have the time try looking on the site.
It shouldn't really be until OASC that you are asked about the training that much. Filter interview will probably just be a rough idea of the training, although it will depend on your AFCO.

T

TalkToMeGoose

Thanks for the help guys. The flow chart is especially useful!

Back