• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Age and the Regiment

• Thread starter Thread starter TheLa
  • Start date Start date
T

TheLa

Hi there, just after some advice, prefferably from Gunners who've recently passed their TG course -

I'm contemplatin joining as a Gunner, and have been told to expect to wait of around 3-4 months from test day to TG course. Now then, my fitness is top notch, although I am 29 years old ( Previous March ) - Approaching the 'cut-off age'.

What was the average age at Honnington, and would my age be a hinderance rather than an advantage?

I'm quite comfortable regarding the BS etc, I served 5 years in the Royal Navy so i'm no stranger to banter.

Cheers.

U

usmarox

Got to admit I'm curious as well...28 and TA soldier, in my case.

rockape34

LAC
Your age shouldn't be a problem, however you should be fit
I did 9 years Army, 3 years Reg. Reserve/TAVR then joined the rocks at the tender age of 32 :)

Per Ardua

ra34

F

Forest

To be honest, your age will put you at more of an advantage as you already have life experience and maturity

Just standby to be proper threaders with some of the young lads.....:PDT_Xtremez_09:

R

Reformed Scribbly

Upper age limit for Raf Regt Gnr is 36. As long as you're in very good physical shape and don't have any major injuiries in your past and have the right attitude to complete the training you should be fine.

H

herrflik

Phys standards

Phys standards

I know this isn't really what this thread is about but you mentioned your fitness being up to scratch so I was wondering - what's the unofficial fitness standard you'd expect for Gunners and Officers?

I'll assume bleep 9.1 is a joke to you guys.

Currently I'm on 8mins40 for the 1.5mile after a 1.5mile warm up but in 1 minute I can only get out 38 push-ups. It's not that I can't do any more I just don't know how to get any more done in the 1 minute limit. I can do 73 average in 2 mins so I'm confident I can pass training but I'd prefer to be good than barely passing - I want to have a stab at II Sqn.

Back