• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Age barrier?

At 34, although technically still eligible to apply for a commission in the RAF, is it unrealistic what with the commitments away during IOT, lifestyle etc given that I am married with a 2 year old? Anyone have experience/know of others? I’d appreciate any advice of those serving “on the inside” who can offer a perspective that I, as a civilian, obviously don’t have. Also, are you treated differently as an older entrant? I reckon the reality would be somewhat different to what the recruiters tell you. I am absolutely determined to be part of the RAF somehow and am thinking perhaps the Reserves may offer the best solution given my age and family commitments. I am interested to hear viewpoints from those in-the-know. Many thanks for any advice.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I was 31. If you get through, the only problems you will have are self-generated. At least that was my experience. Once you leave your first little fat graduate for dust on the first run (which is what you should do), the line in the sand is drawn. I was by no means the oldest either (some ex-airmen are into their 50s) but as far as I was concerned, it was a bit of a peter pan time. Age was the last thing on my mind, or theirs.

As for you.....well. You have to pretty much write off any sort of a family life for the first 9 months, and only a limited one thereafter through professional training. Certainly at IOT, you cannot afford that sort of distraction and they offer you little or no latitude because of it - which is as it should be.

I was 37 when I joined. With 2 kids and a mortgage. Still in and still married. And I went for a direct entry commission.
Can be done, just takes a good and understanding family, flexibility and make sure your fitness is absolutely squared away. You'll also get lots of "old man" jibes. But in all fairness 37 may seem old, there were 3 other guys at Cranwell older than me.
I don't regret joining later in life, best thing I did. I had 15 years in my civ job and stacks of life experience. Biggest consideration though is your family. They have got to be 100% on side and fully understand the implications if service life. I can't stress that enough.
Good luck and feel free to PM me on this subject.

Thanks guys I really appreciate the comments.
Interrupto - did you apply at 37.... I was under the impression upper age entry was 36 but I may be wrong? Out of curiosity what branch did you enter? As an Officer? Do you think the OASC Board favour younger applicants with no 'baggage'?
Stevienics - Do you get leave within IOT or are you pretty much away for 9 months?
I would absolutely love to do it and wished I had done it sooner but obviously my family is my priority now hence I just want to clarify these points in my mind first then either go for it or follow the Reserves route.
Once posted to a station then I guess things settle down a bit in that you can live back with your family?

Last edited:
I don't want to disclose exactly what I do for the sake of the thin veil of anonymity we get here, but I was a late entry professional candidate who went down the direct entry commissioned route.
Still had to adapt to the same rigours of service life as a late entrant and my family still had to adapt to being a service family. So the same considerations remain albeit from a different perspective.
OASC was no different for me. My age was never taken into consideration, the fitness test leadership test and psychometric evaluation were all the same. All depends on your route of entry but ultimately all regular entry officer candidates go through the same stuff. I kept an electronic journal of my time at OASC if you are interested in reading it. It might give you some idea of what you are going to face.
Like I said, feel free to PM me.

bubb2709

LAC
I am pretty much the same, I am 33 years old with a wife, 8 month old and mortgage, and I have applied for a commission. I do have previous armed forces service but left 6 years ago after serving for 7 years! I believe that the iot stage will be difficult as it will be hard not seeing the family for a whilst but just think of the benefits for the future!!

Climebear

Flight Sergeant
At least you get regular weekends off and inter-term leave at IOT so you can see your family.

When you get through the training pipeline there may well be 4, 6, 9 or 12 month operational detachments waiting.

(4 month = no R&R; 6 = 1 period of R&R; 9 = 2 periods; 12 = 3 periods)

spydor

LAC
Interrupto,

Could you PM me please...I'm looking at PQ entry into the RAF...I'm 40 years old.

I tried to contact you by PM...but it won't work.

Would be keen for any advice / insights re the time at Cranwell.

Thank You.

Spydor.

Interrupto,

Could you PM me please...I'm looking at PQ entry into the RAF...I'm 40 years old.

I tried to contact you by PM...but it won't work.

Would be keen for any advice / insights re the time at Cranwell.

Thank You.

Spydor.

I will. Been on a course all last week. I'll contact you later.