• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Age & OASC

• Thread starter Thread starter Mr Blue
  • Start date Start date
M

Mr Blue

Hello,

I just wanted to get your thoughts on trying out for OASC at the tender age of 32, probably 33 if I try out for it.

The RAF seems to be refreshingly unique in the sense that they don't write off a candidate's potential to be an officer over the age of 30. I've read a few posts on ARRSE from serving officers and NCOs and the general gist is that it is a bad idea to offer officer recruitment over the age of 30 mainly because:

1. The people you will be leading that are of similar age could have 10+ years of experience under their belt.

2. With age there is a higher degree of caution or rationale and that junior officers would offer more bravado I suppose could be the word.

I'm curious as to what people's experiences have been with new "older" officers in the RAF. Are there a good percentage of candidates trying out for OASC who are between 30 - 36? If so, what are your overall thoughts - did age impact on their abilities personally, did it impact negatively on other recruits or the people they were eventually leading?

Overall, I hope the outcomes would be positive or why offer recruitment up to 36, however one of my interests is in the Regiment (the other is in Intelligence). It's only fairly recently (afaik) that the Regiment has opened up officer recruitment up to the age of 36. If I'm not mistaken this was set at 28 up until a couple of months ago and if that is the case, it will be new territory that they are facing and possibly the conclusions are yet to be drawn as to whether it is "working".

To existing officers, please can you tell me what the regard is for the newbie older officers through training? Joking aside, is it positive, negative or not paid much attention to? Professionally I know age shouldn't really come into it and that it should be based on performance, but we are all human and we all have our own thoughts.

I was a retained firefighter back in my early 20s and during the course there was a chap in his late 30s, possibly early 40s who was singled out by the instructors. There were plenty of mutterings amongst the other recruits too.

If I'm being honest if I decide to try for OASC I would give it my all. There would be no one else who would be more equipped going forward for OASC. I can give and take the jokes just like anyone but at 32 / 33 I don't want to be the butt of politcal correctness, not because I can't take the stick, I would just rather some young lad or lady with another 10 years to offer get the job...

I will be taking a pay cut to do this, but if it's right I could care less. Anything that can take me out of this celebrity fuelled, self absorbing coma would be a welcome breath of fresh air.

Thank you for any input.

Last edited:
Back