• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Air Cadets - civvie instructor

• Thread starter Thread starter LadyLaw
  • Start date Start date
L

LadyLaw

Firstly, apologies if this is not the right place to post - wasn't sure where would be most appropriate.

I'm looking into joining my local Air Cadets as a civvie instructor in order to get some additional leadership experience and RAF insight to support my bid to become an officer. I'm already an officer in St John Ambulance, which hopefully will count in my favour, but I figured the Cadets would give me a bit more variety (I'm an adult unit officer in SJA whereas obviously the Cadets would give me experience working with kids) and some valuable insight into military life. Not to mention, it actually sounds like a pretty fun way to spend some of my spare time :)

Has anyone on here done the same? Is anyone able to offer any advice/tips/general comment on joining as a civvie instructor or on the Cadets in general? I reckon there must be a few peeps who were cadets floating around on here. Unfortunately it never occured to me to join as a cadet when I was a kid - back then I thought I wanted to be a judge, not an RAF officer!

Cheers in advance :PDT_Xtremez_26:

tag_lincoln

Corporal
Have you still not applied for the RAF yet?? The RAF retire people at 55 so you need to speed up your application process.

If you want to become a CI with the Air cadets then you need to get down to your local Sqn and talk to them. There's a biggish Sqn in Southampton (by Itchen Bridge) and also smaller Sqns in Eastleigh, Hedge End, Fareham etc depending on where you actually live. You'll need to have a CRB check but more importantly the Sqn Cdr will probably want to know what you can bring to his/her Sqn, what can you teach (Principles of Flt, Airframes, Sat Comms etc) or do you have Adventure Training Qualifications that would be of use. The focus in the ATC is the cadets and whilst staff development does take place it is not the driving factor and they would expect you to be able to offer something tangible from day 1. Most CIs are ex cadets or ex serving so have knowledge of the system and subjects required.

L

LadyLaw

Have you still not applied for the RAF yet?? The RAF retire people at 55 so you need to speed up your application process.

I'm 26, mate - hardly over the hill! Anyway, like most people my application is in but I'm stuck waiting for trades to re-open. I figured while I was waiting it would be worth thinking about what I could do to make myself a better candidate rather than sitting back and just waiting. Becoming a CI is something that's been suggested many times on here so I wanted to look into it further.

Anyway, that aside thanks for the insight. While I might not have specific skills like principles of flight, I do have some skills that might prove useful. For example, I'm a qualified 1st aid trainer and I have experience with radio comms. I'm pretty good at admin and organisation too - jobs no-one seems to like! I'm no stranger to CRBs - St John do one on me every year, as do my employers. Fortunately I have an unusual surname so the come back quickly :D

I do appreciate that the focus is on the cadets - of course it is otherwise what would be the point of it being a youth organisation?! It would just be a useful by-product from my point of view that I would gain some knowledge too. Having re-read my original post it does come across a bit as "what can I get out of it" and that wasn't what I meant at all! Sorry!!!

I've got the contact details for my local two sqns so I'll see what they say. If they're anything like St John at the moment they'll be crying out for people - no-one seems to want to donate time anymore. Sorry, I felt a soap box moment coming on there...

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
One of the things they look at at OASC is the candidate's ability to lead a group of people and how you interact with a group. Candidates who look for extra responsibility, especially in the wider community, and who go and get their hands dirty so to speak can be looked at very favourably too. You can never do too much, as far as this is concerned. Certainly what you do in SJA and with the ATC will stand you in good stead.

Good luck in your app.

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
A nice 20-something lady turned up at our squadron a while ago and, as far as I know, went through the usual CI checks. Next thing she's off to Cranwell and not long thereafter is a P/Off. Now she's left us to be a CO of her own squadron.

If you go that route, it might help you no end. . . . .
Good Luck.

Back