• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Aircraft Technician (Mechanical) Hopeful

FlyerBike

LAC
Hi guys,

Thought I'd follow correct protocol and introduce myself!

I'm 23, female and very very interested in a career with the RAF. Wanted to find out a bit more about life in the service, googled and found you lot.

To give you guys an idea of my background; I started straight out of 6th form into the media industry as a freelance camera operator/runner/whatever people needed-er, stuck at it for 2 years as which point the industry crashed and I had to take a PAYE job. By this time I'd discovered a new passion in motorbikes, went back to where I got my basic bike training and asked for a job as an assistant mechanic. I of course didn't realise at the time that this title was in fact code for "cleaner". :highly_amused:

Anyway, I learnt loads about bikes, did my own outside study and practice and now bike fixing is another thing on my big list of stuff I love to do. I moved into bike sales and advertising (using my media experience) within the same company. I've since moved on to a motorbike clothing and accessories company in sales.

I'm in the last stages of recruitment for Special Constable with the Hertforshire Constabulary and have become very active in the last year.

I've always craved a career that challenges and fulfills me mentally and physically, which I can take pride in and the RAF seems to tick all the boxes. Whilst casually discussing it with my other half (he's ex-Navy) he said I should seriously consider it and was fully supportive of the idea, saying it would be a fantastic experience for me and thinks I'd really enjoy and benefit from it. I've always liked the idea of set procedures, uniforms, pride and doing something with some actual purpose to it. Not just working in a shop 9-6.

So, having spent several weeks studying the careers website, doing some research etc. I've narrowed my career choice down to ATM. Annoyingly they're not recruiting at the moment and my D in GCSE Maths puts me on the unqualified list, despite 10 other A-C grade GCSEs and Alevels. So my next challenge is to re-take maths (a former nightmare of mine) and get my fitness up even higher than that of the police fitness test and into RAF territory.

Anyway, VERY long story short.. I wanted to get a realistic view of what life is like in the RAF. What is basic training REALLY like? Is it people shouting at you 24/7 or is it actually pretty damn good fun (very tiring and challenging fun!) My other half said he loved basic RN training but then I know he's the type of guy that would.

What's the situation like with getting to see your loved ones? I understand that in basic training you only get to go home after the first three weeks, then you're back again. But once you're doing trade training/in service, you can come and go as you please evenings and weekends? I'm just a little worried about how often I'd get to see my fella and ride my bike.

I know this might sound a little soft for someone looking to get into what is, after all, one of the armed forces, but; as an ATM, what is the likelihood of being deployed? I just keep thinking of horror stories of ex-RAF with limbs blown off and seeing military guys/gals on the news who died in action.. I know it's part of the job but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried about the possibility of being thrown into battle and not seeing loved ones for 6 months/a year at a time/ever again!

Thoughts? Experiences?

Cheers guys

Craig855s

Sergeant
Hi guys,

Thought I'd follow correct protocol and introduce myself!

I'm 23, female and very very interested in a career with the RAF. Wanted to find out a bit more about life in the service, googled and found you lot.

To give you guys an idea of my background; I started straight out of 6th form into the media industry as a freelance camera operator/runner/whatever people needed-er, stuck at it for 2 years as which point the industry crashed and I had to take a PAYE job. By this time I'd discovered a new passion in motorbikes, went back to where I got my basic bike training and asked for a job as an assistant mechanic. I of course didn't realise at the time that this title was in fact code for "cleaner". :highly_amused:

Anyway, I learnt loads about bikes, did my own outside study and practice and now bike fixing is another thing on my big list of stuff I love to do. I moved into bike sales and advertising (using my media experience) within the same company. I've since moved on to a motorbike clothing and accessories company in sales.

I'm in the last stages of recruitment for Special Constable with the Hertforshire Constabulary and have become very active in the last year.

I've always craved a career that challenges and fulfills me mentally and physically, which I can take pride in and the RAF seems to tick all the boxes. Whilst casually discussing it with my other half (he's ex-Navy) he said I should seriously consider it and was fully supportive of the idea, saying it would be a fantastic experience for me and thinks I'd really enjoy and benefit from it. I've always liked the idea of set procedures, uniforms, pride and doing something with some actual purpose to it. Not just working in a shop 9-6.

So, having spent several weeks studying the careers website, doing some research etc. I've narrowed my career choice down to ATM. Annoyingly they're not recruiting at the moment and my D in GCSE Maths puts me on the unqualified list, despite 10 other A-C grade GCSEs and Alevels. So my next challenge is to re-take maths (a former nightmare of mine) and get my fitness up even higher than that of the police fitness test and into RAF territory.How long would it take to retake that maths?

Anyway, VERY long story short.. I wanted to get a realistic view of what life is like in the RAF. What is basic training REALLY like? Is it people shouting at you 24/7 or is it actually pretty damn good fun (very tiring and challenging fun!) My other half said he loved basic RN training but then I know he's the type of guy that would.Basic training is very shouty for the first few weeks, but then the DIs are actually nice to you,although they will scream if you dont do it right..and it is very tiring but very fun. At the end of it you'll probably be of the opinion you'd do it all over again for a laugh

What's the situation like with getting to see your loved ones? I understand that in basic training you only get to go home after the first three weeks, then you're back again. But once you're doing trade training/in service, you can come and go as you please evenings and weekends? I'm just a little worried about how often I'd get to see my fella and ride my bike. During trade training you can go home most if not all weekends, and you can have your bike at the camp, if youre married you'll get a quarter (maybe not for the initial AMM training but for your FI course you should. Once you get to your first unit you can live where you want and commute daily if you want to...

I know this might sound a little soft for someone looking to get into what is, after all, one of the armed forces, but; as an ATM, what is the likelihood of being deployed? I just keep thinking of horror stories of ex-RAF with limbs blown off and seeing military guys/gals on the news who died in action.. I know it's part of the job but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried about the possibility of being thrown into battle and not seeing loved ones for 6 months/a year at a time/ever again! Im not 100% sure but i dont think any aircraft technician has been injured by enemy action never mind killed in afghan or iraq

Thoughts? Experiences?

Cheers guys
One last point, join as ATAv, much easier work and the same pay, dont get as dirty either, and you can still pursue your mechanical hobby by joining one of the many clubs in the RAF that cater to amatuer mechanics (motor club, motorbike club, motorsports clubs)

E

enginesuck

You love bikes , you are mechanically minded - take the maths (you'll need it) sound like you will be perfect - get stuck in- dont be a AT av - they are weird ! Just think Jet engines, hot oil, fuel etc, hydraulics , pneumatics basically ATMs rock the world and without them the RAF is pointless

engchimp

LAC
ATM is a great life. Thoroughly enjoyed my time. You will get up to allsorts and meet great mates.

Sorry to put a downer but aircraft techys have been injured on ops, the incidents are few and far between and rarely reported. You will see a very inspirational Weapons Tech competing in the paralympics! But I wouldnt worry about being injured.

What is basic training REALLY like? Is it people shouting at you 24/7 or is it actually pretty damn good fun (very tiring and challenging fun!)
More of the latter; you don't get shouted at much unless you're a biff. It'll be 11 weeks that will seem to take forever while you're going through it, but when you look back, it will all seem like a silly game that went by in the snap of your fingers.

What's the situation like with getting to see your loved ones?
Once out of Halton, your own time is just that. You'll occasionally get dicked to work weekends for things like parades and air shows.

as an ATM, what is the likelihood of being deployed?
It all depends on your postings really. Some aircraft go away for 4 months at a time where you'll be sleeping in tents, some aircraft make trips in and out and you'll be staying in hotels. Then again, who knows where we'll be getting deployed to by the time you have finished basic and phase two training!

One thing the AFCO don't make painfully clear is the time it takes to get the big bucks as an Aircraft Technician;

After you complete basic training, you'll be sent off to do your phase two trade training. Whether you're Avionics or Mechanical you will be doing a 6 month course, training in servicing aircraft (refuelling, tire kicking, cockpit cleaning etc.) after which you'll be posted to your first squadron as an Aircraft Maintenance Mechanic (AMM).

You will spend between 18-30 months at your first unit (the current time frame is at the larger end of the scale) as an LAC/SAC. During this time you will be on the lower pay spine, so we're talking ~£17k. It won't be until you've done the 30 months, then completed another 14 month Further Training course (in your case, mechanical), that you will gain the rank of SAC(T) and put up to the higher pay band (~£24k). All in all, that's in the area of three and a half years at best until you're on the rockstar wages.

Just a note about what Craig855s said; I joined up a little over three and a half years ago as ATM. I completed my phase two training and got posted to my first squadron as an AMM. While there I tried to get involved with any trade work going, whether it was with the Mechanical or Avionics guys. After 6 months I realised that the AV work was what I enjoyed more and that in 5-10 years down the road, that is what I'd rather be doing. A few chats and a signature from my SengO later, I had swapped. That being said, when I went through there were (are) a million AMMs of either trade, so changing wasn't a big hassle for me; things might change by the time you get to that point.

Oberon305

Chairborne
Go for it. You'll hear 'old hats' saying how much it has changed, but it's still a well respected career path and there are still ample opportunities for extra curricular activities, such as Motor Clubs, sport etc. Good luck with your maths, but don't discount other trades, still rewarding careers, albeit without the kudos of being in TG1.

FlyerBike

LAC
Cheers guys, appreciate the replies.

I don't think I'd find ATA very interesting, I'd enjoy learning about avionics but not doing it as my trade, I'm a more "get your hands dirty" person.

I'm actively looking for an evening maths course at the moment and have been getting stuck-in to a revision book. It's amazing how much I enjoy learning maths now that I'm older.

Thanks for the wages explanation, didn't realise it could go up to 24k at any point! Given that I'm on 13k at the moment, 17k sounds amazing..

Another question, are there any particular bases that you're more likely to get posted to, or is it just luck of the draw/where they need people? My worst nightmare would be to get posted to somewhere in Scotland when everything for me is in London and Surrey!

Can't stop watching RAF Training videos on Youtube, really getting excited about this..

Last edited:

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
Another question, are there any particular bases that you're more likely to get posted to, or is it just luck of the draw/where they need people? My worst nightmare would be to get posted to somewhere in Scotland when everything for me is in London and Surrey!

Thats pretty much the long and short of it, the RAF has about 8 bases to which aircraft techies can be posted in the UK. It isn't a lot but you're looking at Benson, Brize Norton, Odiham down the in the south. Lads and lasses getting posted all over the place from Ft training at the moment (FT comes after you've done your time as an AMM).
But yeah, you get a wishlist, but where they need is where you go.

LilStill

Sergeant
RTS is a lot of fun but you will indeed want to turn the volume down fairly often - that is all part of the game and serves a purpose. Please know that the careers/website information on Halton is somewhat out of date as you are looking at local leave on weekend 4 and home leave at weekend 5 onward (save the weekend after final exercise, which is a working weekend). Phase 2 training and onward is very relaxed indeed in comparison reference going home and working hours. It'll be a long time again before you work as hard as you will at Halton.

Billy Whizz

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Thats pretty much the long and short of it, the RAF has about 8 bases to which aircraft techies can be posted in the UK. It isn't a lot but you're looking at Benson, Brize Norton, Odiham down the in the south. Lads and lasses getting posted all over the place from Ft training at the moment (FT comes after you've done your time as an AMM).
But yeah, you get a wishlist, but where they need is where you go.

And "if" you were to volunteer for Benson or Odiham is pretty much a cert you'd get it!

Seems to be the first 2 choices Manning are giving to those they are contacting.

FlyerBike

LAC
Cool, thanks for that.

Having been made redundant from my job on Wednesday, I'm definitely craving a career with a bit more substance and value behind it, even more so now.. This is the second time in the 5 years since I've been PAYE that I've been made redundant and I'm good at my job.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Really? What's wrong with Odiham? That would probably be ideal for me..
Odius? Nothing much if you like going away on a very frequent basis to hot, sandy places. It's horses for courses though, one place might be ideal for the average single youngster, wanting to save a bit of cash - whilst being a nightmare for the family man wanting some stability.

Billy Whizz

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Odius? Nothing much if you like going away on a very frequent basis to hot, sandy places. It's horses for courses though, one place might be ideal for the average single youngster, wanting to save a bit of cash - whilst being a nightmare for the family man wanting some stability.

Too right Spearmint - did my Wokka time as a Singley and loved it.

As for Odiham - it is horses for courses - my dad tried to get posted there during his 27 years in the RAF and never managed it - I've tried to avoid it for 27 years and touch wood, bar 3 extended detachments there, never been caught.

My extended family live in the area and I was born locally too but just never fancied another Wokka tour - one was enough thanks!

FlyerBike

LAC
Sorry, bit confused. So raffers stationed at Odiham are more likely to get deployed??

A family's not really on the cards for me, but I would like to be close enough to my fella to go home at weekends/maybe evenings. Is this realistic in the RAF? ..

My take on life in the RAF

My take on life in the RAF

Whatever the Careers Office told you is probably 90% bull****, or at least it was in my case. That was back in 1990, when servicemen/women had less rights than prison inmates, barrack rooms were cold, draughty little cells, and RAFbases were invariably in the middle of nowhere, miles from civilisation. Fast forward to 2012, the main points to notes out life in the RAF are as follows:

* Servicemen/women have less rights than prison inmates.
* Barrack rooms are cold, draughty little cells.
* RAF bases are invariably in the middle of nowhere, miles from civilisation.

I hope this helps, good luck with your career choice.

LilStill

Sergeant
Having been BORN in 1990 and in the RAF for less than a year:

I definitely seem to have less rights than a prison inmate - but fail to see how that's the RAF's fault since 90% of the population has less or the same rights as a prison inmate thanks to the EU.

I live in a nice room - admittedly, we just chucked the SNEC's out and turned the Mess into the JR's Mess.

Do a driving test, buy a car, most RAF bases are about 5 minutes from civilisation (except Valley)

So make of two different opinions what you will - maybe I've got a better tolerance for bull**** or maybe OTWD has been doing it for way too much longer. Maybe you'll have to make your own mind up.

Cheer up OTWD, it's a different Air Force ::p:

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
So make of two different opinions what you will - maybe I've got a better tolerance for bull**** or maybe OTWD has been doing it for way too much longer. Maybe you'll have to make your own mind up.

Cheer up OTWD, it's a different Air Force ::p:

You've been in but a year, give it time. The rot will set in.

Billy Whizz

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Sorry, bit confused. So raffers stationed at Odiham are more likely to get deployed??

A family's not really on the cards for me, but I would like to be close enough to my fella to go home at weekends/maybe evenings. Is this realistic in the RAF? ..

Yes - more than realistic. We may get paid 24/7 but don't work excessive hours!

You won't be away every week but some locations means lots of going away, others less so. You have just as much chance of being deplyed from Benson or Brize, it's the luck of the draw with where you get posted - but you must be prepared to go through times when you won't get home to your fella every week - RTS for instance, when you'll be on base for the first month without a weekend at home!