• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All ahead of me..

• Thread starter Thread starter stanmancan
  • Start date Start date
S

stanmancan

Hello Ladies and Gents,

I'm completely new to this forum having browsed it for a while looking (successfully) for general advice etc. I'm just about to have shoulder stabilisation surgery and will be looking to apply for the role of pilot once i'm fully fit/the 1 year period is up. Having spoken to my local AFCO I've been told that I can apply once I am fully fit (e.g. in 8-9 months - if the branch is open by then??) then my application will be barred and I can appeal against it as the filter staff are not medical examiners.

I understand that this occupation is the elite and as a result is highly competitive (understatement) but It is the one role out there that I will give my all to try and achieve and if I don't make it then I can walk away knowing I tried my best and of course I have the backup role of Aerospace Battle manager for just this outcome.

Seeing as I have a fair few months of physio, fitness and recovery ahead of me I was told by the AFCO that i should try to organise a station visit and get talking to some people involved in and around my desired role. After looking at their sites it seems that they only tend to accept those who are post filter interview at least which has left me confused? Is it worth contacting the LO yet?

I know it's going to be a tough road ahead but i'm willing to do everything I can so if anyone can think or anything other than RAF operations knowledge and structure, current affairs, basic aviation principles, fitness, demonstrating leadership skills (voluntary work, team activities etc), aptitude test practice and gathering info regarding my 6 months in Canada for the application then any input would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry to ramble on in my first post but these are things that i'm only going to find out by asking and I can't see a more appropriate place to post it for now!

Cheers,

Grant.

S

stanmancan

thanks..i guess.

thanks..i guess.

Ok..the application and selection for the branch is elitist in terms of that fact that they are looking for the individuals who stand out due to them being "b. The best or most skilled members of a group: the football team's elite.". (I.e. the group in this instance are the applicants for the pilot role...NOT the whole RAF) This of course is completely understandable due to the role they are aiming for. I don't see how you missed out the only section of the definition that is relevant in this context? I do understand that there are numerous different skilled individuals within the forces, all of which are highly skilled in their chosen area.

Appreciate the wish of luck (even if it did seem sarcastic).

Can I just add that at this stage I'm not concerned with people standpoints on the role itself rather their opinions on my situation or any advice whether it's positive or critical. I am not involved enough yet to start delving into why serving individuals possess certain standpoints, for now I just have to do what is necessary and i'll pick the rest up along the way

Thanks.

Billy Whizz

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Ok..the application and selection for the branch is elitist in terms of that fact that they are looking for the individuals who stand out due to them being "b. The best or most skilled members of a group: the football team's elite.". (I.e. the group in this instance are the applicants for the pilot role...NOT the whole RAF) This of course is completely understandable due to the role they are aiming for. I don't see how you missed out the only section of the definition that is relevant in this context? I do understand that there are numerous different skilled individuals within the forces, all of which are highly skilled in their chosen area.

Appreciate the wish of luck (even if it did seem sarcastic).

Can I just add that at this stage I'm not concerned with people standpoints on the role itself rather their opinions on my situation or any advice whether it's positive or critical. I am not involved enough yet to start delving into why serving individuals possess certain standpoints, for now I just have to do what is necessary and i'll pick the rest up along the way

Thanks.

Have you tried PPRUNE? Shed loads of pilots on there - the Goat tends to be mainly ORs.

Pikeman

Cider one of the five
1000+ Posts
No sarcasm, you have a lot of work ahead of you to achieve your goal, if it is what you want from life, then an true wish of luck from me.

S

stanmancan

oh ok

oh ok

No sarcasm, you have a lot of work ahead of you to achieve your goal, if it is what you want from life, then an true wish of luck from me.

Sorry if I misunderstood you there, yeah it seems that way...Cheers.

T

The chosen one

There is only one Chosen One! Front experience fella, you are only elite when you have the wings, have the CR cat and the credibility.

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Guys. This is in the Recruitment forums. Keep it on topic and helpful. You know the rules.

If you can't - Don't post.

S

stanmancan

thanks fomz

thanks fomz

Yet again I was saying the selection process is elitist, read the 3rd post as I can't be bothered to state it again. Yeah. dose of reality does help but the reality is that it is incredibly tough to get into. Yet again...I am concerned with help on doing everything I can to try and get onto this role, I don't care if the pilot is considered a poor interface between the stick and the seat, I don't consider it important at this stage. I am looking for advice or constructive comments at least , not a daily mail style critique of the deficits in functionality of a modern day fast jet pilot.

Back