• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

already a civilian pilot

• Thread starter Thread starter helicopter
  • Start date Start date
H

helicopter

Hi there,

Quick question for you all (new here so be nice!).
I'm currently learning to fly helicopters in the civilian world - about 30 hrs done out of the 45 needed for my private license.

Decided recently I'm interested in joining the RAF... BUT - the eyes. I'm shortsighted (not badly - about -1.00 at the moment) and need contacts to fly as a civy.

Do you think if I have a civilian license already, recruitment will be able to see past (pun intended) the fact that my eyes are a little out and let me sign up? Just thought that someone who can already fly a helicopter would be considered quite useful? Maybe I'm being stupid?

Any thoughts would be great!

R

Reformed Scribbly

In a nutshell, no. Whilst it is positive that you are learning to fly, you still need to meet the entry medical requirements. I would advise that you speak to the AFCO staff who will give you an opthalmic report to be completed at an optician for consideration by the medical boards at Cranwell. It will be their decision as to whether you are fit for military flying.

A

AndyCarter

Sorry to say I think thats about what my eyes were. Iv got an AGT certificate in gliding < not a PPL I know but I can fly. I was told that I couldn't fly in the military on the eye report I got back from Cranwell.

Back