• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Am I too old or/and not suitable for DE ATC?

treen74

LAC
I'm 36 (37 in Jan 2010) and did 10 years as an AATC/FOA.

Since leaving in 2000/2001 I did 1 year working holiday visas in Oz and NZ, 1 year in Ireland as a Ground Ops Controller for Ryanair, 2 years as a plant manager for a construction company and then 18 months as an Apron Tower Controller/airfield officer for Auckland Airport.

During my time at auckland airport I applied for controller (with Airways, the civvy version in NZ). I did the aptitude tests, interviews and assessment day at the Airways base. I was invited onto their 6 month intensive course last year and accepted thereby giving up my job at auckland.

My wife and 4 year old child stayed in auckland whilst I went to Christchurch on the course - I knew it would be hard but what happened afterwards was hard to take.........

Just before the course my wife found out she was pregnant but we decided I should plough on. This couldve been a mistake with hindsight.

The airways course is split into 3 sections -

051 is a 6 week course to bring you all upto speed with the basics (and not so basics) of aviation and ATC stuff. Lots of study and weekly exams.

052 is the aerodrome control course and lasts 12 weeks. Very intensive indeed. Lots of exams and sim work.

053 - procedural radar 12 weeks

I got as far as the end of 052 culminating in 100% in the final written exam but was not considered for the Sim FPA as I was "not consistent enough" in the sim. It was a low period as I'd given up a semi-decent job and left a pregnant wife at home. Luckily we got through it and have adopted a go with the flow attitude. We are considering a number of options but the wife knows where my heart lies........

Things werent helped on the course by a bout of heavy flu that reduced my cognitive ability somewhat. A belated suggestion by a psychologist (one week before FPA) to do some exercise (what a great idea, shame I didnt think of that earlier) did help alot but they said Id simply ran out of time and "the train cant stop"

So I feel like I've unfinished business. That was 1 year ago. I'm completely aware that people get canned and for whatever reason it wasnt "meant to be" but I'm convinced that I was short changed and want another crack at it.

Anyway, thats the background. Last year I made enquiries about ATC options in the RAF and was told about the possibility of DE SNCO. As we all know it has turned into a reality. I have spent the last few months fighting for the right to apply to join the RAF. In dec 08 the security vetting policy changed. One may only apply to join if one has resided in the UK for 5 years prior to an application. This policy rules me out as I have been in NZ for the last 3 years. I wrote letters/emails to the relevant departments and after writing to the Air Marshall responsible I received a letter from one of his AVMs advising me that they would grant me a waiver - stage 1 complete !!

Now the next problem - my age !!. As you will know the age range for controller is 18-36. I would be 37 by the time I got onto a course......if I am sucessful. Luckily after an email or 2 I have been given an age waiver by the trade sponsor.

So now I am in the same boat as every other person in the UK...........36 and under. I can apply.

I have a few questions that you may able to help me with?

1) As an ex-serviceman what initial training would I have to undertake? I'm aware (from looking at other posts) that one has to go to Halton - how long for? Is JATCC 8 months or less?

2) I have previously passed aptitude tests at Cranwell when I was SAC AATC (it was in the 90s). I guess I'll have to do the whole lot if I get that far.

3) If the folk at overseas recruiting at cranwell are happy with my app I will have to fly to wellington for a filter interview with a defence liaison person. (cheaper then a flight to the UK). If Im successful then I will have to fly to blighty for the OASC. I've seen posts where its said that physical and medical are done at a separate juncture. Is this true or are they done all in one go?

4) I havent seen anything anywhere about what pay one would receive from when they start training for DE SNCO ATC. Has anyone any idea what you get and if it is lower than what I was getting paid prior to leaving in 2000, would I maintain that level?

5) I saw a post saying that there was one case where someone got a Shawbury MQ during JATCC. I guess its rare but is it possible? If I get through it all, we would be leaving NZ and I would prefer the wife and 2 kids to be nearby.

6) Again , havent seen anything clear about what would happen if one doesnt get through JATCC. Would a DE SNCO be offered another trade/role eg FOM. I have to ask as I'm trying to cover all bases. Of course I'm hoping I wouldnt have to consider that option but the Mrs has asked.

I think I've covered a few bases here and hope to hear some interesting replies. I guess I'm in a unique situation but if anyone has experiences to share I'm more than willing to hear about them.

cheers for now

R_Squared

Flight Sergeant
I can only really help you with a few of your questions,
1) JATCC is less than 8 months, unless you are re-coursed of course.
2) If you have already taken and passed the aptitude test you should be Ok, however you will need to check with your AFCO
3) Sorry don't know
4) Sorry don't know
5) You can apply for a quarter.
6) If you do fail to complete as DE controller you will not be offered a FOM post, I believe you would have to go through the same process as failed SNCO Aircrew.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
As far as I am aware, you're back to square one.

If we don't like the cut of your jib we throw you to the ground trade wolves...Some of the guys who failed miserably on my ITC ended up as techies (fairies I Believe) or ATC/ops clerks type stuff...few left back to civvy street which was an option...

Back