• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

An EGR question for the sooties

wobbly

E-goat Head *****
Administrator
I have just been reading orders that SAC T's have to be full self supervisors to run an aircraft.

Now I can understand that in the case of fast jets when your in the cockpit on your own doing the full post test egr and funcs but not when on a Transport aircraft with a supervisor sat in the co-pilots seat.

Ive been trying to find a loop hole to see why this has never been the case at Lyneham but can't seem to find it. If it doesn't exist then we're pretty much fooked.

Anyone on the 10 or Timmy fleet or the C130 static display fleet that can help?

D

Disillusioned

Not on the AT fleet Wobbly so can't help specifically but I can't personally see why they should be Self-Soup so long as they are Q-Ops (unless it's a local order as opposed to a JAP order). I've run helicopter engines without supervision plenty of times when I was a JT. Unless they hoping that a Q-Ops SAC T is considered to have already achieved a level of suitability by gaining SS that a non SS individual.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Get Tae

Flight Sergeant
Its all down to local orders Wobbly, the folk I have signed up for EGRs on the Nimrod in the past have only needed to be SAC(T) Q-Ops and have been up the Sim with me to do the usual stuff (now can also be a cross dressed guy with IP done).

Maybe a change in SESORS or whatever they are called these days might be in order??

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
Sorry, another not on your type.
Here on our yellow helichoppers we can use sac(t)'s / JT's for vent runs ie starter motor, no fuel or ignition. They get signed up easy on 4820/jap thingy.

For engine runs you have to be heavy traded and have sim training and training from a ground runner. Also Cpl and above I believe?

Perhaps the self sup bit you speak of refers to the fact that they should have a certain level of experience rather than referring to the actual self supervision of an EGR?

Mighty_Wokka

Corporal
Simular story here in Wokka land, the sootie SAC T's can do dry cranks for comp washes but thats it. Besides I only know of one SGT who is qualified for ground runs, we just get the duty crew out of bed and let them do it.

Goatherdingsplitter

Rebel without a clue
I have just been reading orders that SAC T's have to be full self supervisors to run an aircraft.

Now I can understand that in the case of fast jets when your in the cockpit on your own doing the full post test egr and funcs but not when on a Transport aircraft with a supervisor sat in the co-pilots seat.

Ive been trying to find a loop hole to see why this has never been the case at Lyneham but can't seem to find it. If it doesn't exist then we're pretty much fooked.

Anyone on the 10 or Timmy fleet or the C130 static display fleet that can help?

JAP states that all engine operators must be at least Auth level C, however, as we know local management can always add requirements.

F

fugmeister general

however wobbley there is a loophole that a full self sup you can carry out full multi enginge high power egr's on your own with a competent person ie the cleaner if you think he or she is competent,,,, look to the future even more manpower cuts and twice as much work for everyone else.

any comments on this would be enlightening.

as the irish man said in braveheart "your fooked"

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
look to the future even more manpower cuts and twice as much work for everyone else. Any comments on this would be enlightening. "your fooked"

Less bods more work an ever recurring theme on here yet no one upstairs ever listens. Always remember the regs can and will be used to screw you into the ground when something goes wrong as long as every thing is tickety boo observance of the regs is fine apparently. As the general says "your fooked". even Capt Slog couldn't find the definative answer from his own personal copy of the JAP and he tried for some time FFS.

wobbly

E-goat Head *****
Administrator
Just found out that the AESO's were a bodge job. The SENGO has now decreed that Q-OPS SAC's with the EGR AUTH can now run but its amazing that this has been overlooked.

Thanks for your input lads :)

Here in sunny Saints, although we are not uniformed we still come under the same rules applied by RAF/JAP. We, however, add that you must be Q-AVC-P and two qualified runners must be present. We try to insist on a 6 monthly sim ride for the usual drills but this is not always available. The Minor line gives ample chance to requal, (6 monthly), with the Major aircraft as another option. Single personnel on the flight deck runs are not permitted.

You can appreciate that post depth servicing runs have inherent dangers not normally associated with line runs so we keep quite stringently to these rules.

You guys at Lyneham/Brize do it any differently?

sumps

Sergeant
What ever happens it is the JAP that is the definitive rulling with AESOs giving expanding information that can be no less safe.
IMHO - I think that these rules are written for the fast jet lot its only when the AT maritim and rotorys complain that the AESOs are adapted to suit thier beeds

Wobblers Im in the states on an AE2100D3 course at the moment ill do some digging when I get back - it might not just be a case of SENGO says there may have to be other agencys involved as is the way with these rules

Last edited:

sumps

Sergeant
Here you go Sumps, it appears you dropped something there, just picked it up for ya mate!
passes sumps his "I'm in the states" back

:PDT_Xtremez_30:

Its a dirty job some has to do it!!!! And heres me saving you from a states worse than death :PDT_Xtremez_34: OK...OK...ill get my coat

D

dixie05uk

Two banana's required.

Two banana's required.

On the mighty C17 and the super fast Vc10 you need a supervisor on board. Cpl atleast. The other runner can be Sac(t) Q-ops but both must of completed there ground running training. C17 is two weeks Jackson, Mississippi.

Back