• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Another Country for 28+ Days?

• Thread starter Thread starter AprilW
  • Start date Start date
A

AprilW

Hello!

I read on the website that there are problems if you have lived in another country for a period of 28 days.

In 2008 I went to America for 9 weeks to work at a summer camp. I was just wondering if this is likely to effect my chances of getting in or not? I'd hope not on the basis that America is probably our greatest ally and because it was only for 3 months, but I'm really worried that I'm not going to be able to apply or not.

tats

Sergeant
Hello!

I read on the website that there are problems if you have lived in another country for a period of 28 days.

In 2008 I went to America for 9 weeks to work at a summer camp. I was just wondering if this is likely to effect my chances of getting in or not? I'd hope not on the basis that America is probably our greatest ally and because it was only for 3 months, but I'm really worried that I'm not going to be able to apply or not.

Contact the AFCO and explain the situation, tbh I can't see that 'living' in America for a summer job would be too much of a problem but its always worth checking.

W

wannabeNCaircrew

If you had gone Pakistan for three months, there might be a problem. However, I dont see how doing camp america would pose a problem. If you abided by the terms of your visa and were a good little boy/girl then itll be fine.

BJW

Corporal
Hello!

If you went to the US for 9 weeks but spent 3 months there it's not being out of the country you need to worry about it's your fukcing maths.

A

AprilW

If anyone was wondering, I just got a call back - due to the time spent out of the country I am not eligible :(

K

Krusty_Crab

If you went to the US for 9 weeks but spent 3 months there it's not being out of the country you need to worry about it's your fukcing maths.

Well if they left in the middle of June and came back at the end of Aug that would be 9 weeks and they would have been in the US during June, July and Aug.......which funnily enough is 3 months. So who's the one who can't do maths??????

K

Krusty_Crab

If anyone was wondering, I just got a call back - due to the time spent out of the country I am not eligible :(
What a bureaucratic farce!! You go to a country which has the strictest immigration rules in the world and is our biggest ally, you do a Summer Camp which demonstrates leadership potential and that somehow makes you ineligible. Surely there should be an appeals procedure?????

A

AprilW

What a bureaucratic farce!! You go to a country which has the strictest immigration rules in the world and is our biggest ally, you do a Summer Camp which demonstrates leadership potential and that somehow makes you ineligible. Surely there should be an appeals procedure?????

Haha I know, I assumed that with the amount of hoops I had to jump through to get my American work visa in the first place that would have been enough! Ironically enough I was at an adventure camp too, which meant I could tick off various training I'd done like caving, white water rafting, mountain climbing etc. But meh, maybe this means I'll just have to get a proper job for five years and then try again!

Y

Yidmister

Just so you know, We at the AFCO totally agree, we want all round individuals who have experienced a bit of the world but if you travel abroad for more than 28 days we exclude you. That said if you apply for a priority job like WSOp there are exception made. As a second note it is the Secrurity Vetting Agency that are saying no and not the RAF.

sausage2

Decorated war hero
Administrator
1000+ Posts
How does that work then. I've got a bloke at my work who grew up in jamaica, the first time he ever came to the UK was to join the RAF.

K

Krusty_Crab

As a second note it is the Secrurity Vetting Agency that are saying no and not the RAF.
Yet another example of 'tail wagging the dog'. It involved the SVA having to do a bit more work than usual so it's easier for them to set the rules and say No!

K

Krusty_Crab

Haha I know, I assumed that with the amount of hoops I had to jump through to get my American work visa in the first place that would have been enough! Ironically enough I was at an adventure camp too, which meant I could tick off various training I'd done like caving, white water rafting, mountain climbing etc. But meh, maybe this means I'll just have to get a proper job for five years and then try again!
You could always try the Royal Navy or Army instead as they might be willing to push the SVA to make an exception and do the checks!

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Tosh

Tosh

If you were under 24 when you travelled give them a shout and tell them that you were doing gap year type travel, if not then ask for the address of some fella to appeal against, infact just appeal anyway.

The problem you've got at the moment is that the RAF have run out of jobs and don't need to do any extra admin to meet it's recruitment targets.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
OK. I am going to clarify things here. The DVA do not set the standards. They vet to the standards set by their clients, and for whatever department has contracted their services.

If that particular service decides for whatever reason to accept an individual, they can. This refusal is simply buck passing. the contractors could do whatsoever they like with the application - but there is expedience in passing the buck back uphill - as I am sure you will understand.

One gentleman spending a few weeks in the home of liberty is, I think we can all agree, hardly a show stopper in security vetting terms when it comes to joining a service with the same aims as the country hosting the security risk. Exactly.

OK. The truth. This "security" issue that this gentleman has encountered could be overcome very, very simply with a certificate of good conduct issued by the emabassy of the united states, covering the time he spent there. But, of course, they will not tell him that. Whay? In a time of plently, it is sometimes easier to have a kicking boy to hand.

......enter the DVA.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Thay sounds about right

Thay sounds about right

OK. I am going to clarify things here. The DVA do not set the standards. They vet to the standards set by their clients, and for whatever department has contracted their services.

If that particular service decides for whatever reason to accept an individual, they can. This refusal is simply buck passing. the contractors could do whatsoever they like with the application - but there is expedience in passing the buck back uphill - as I am sure you will understand.

One gentleman spending a few weeks in the home of liberty is, I think we can all agree, hardly a show stopper in security vetting terms when it comes to joining a service with the same aims as the country hosting the security risk. Exactly.

OK. The truth. This "security" issue that this gentleman has encountered could be overcome very, very simply with a certificate of good conduct issued by the emabassy of the united states, covering the time he spent there. But, of course, they will not tell him that. Whay? In a time of plently, it is sometimes easier to have a kicking boy to hand.

......enter the DVA.

From what I've heard it's neither the DVA nor I of R that are controlling the goal posts but someone inbetween. I'd still recommend appealing or the Gap Year Type Travel route.

R

Reformed Scribbly

It's sadly a single service decision. Its not the DVA, nor IofR. Nor is it because of the extra admin, as this decision was made during the 'surge'. Although now there isn't the same pressure upon us. It's cold comfort for those who wish to join, but if they are serious they should take the opportunity to get fit, get involved with some good voluntary organisations, get the quals they need and make sure that when the job becomes available/they become eligible, that they want, they are good to go for it.

If one of the other services offers the job that you are interested in, then I would consider that one.

W

whomper

Hi, I'm writing about this in another forum post but wanted to say that I just got turned away for my gap year travelling too.

I've been away for around about 7 months ish over a period of 4 years but I spoke to the AFCO where my interview was taken today and they've said the best thing to do is appeal and see what it is they need from me to prove I'm of good character and was innocently just passing through the country.

I just wondered if April, you managed to get through the appeal process in the end or if you left it at that?

I'll update on the appeals process as I go along.

Cheers,

Whomper

A

AprilW

Hi, I'm writing about this in another forum post but wanted to say that I just got turned away for my gap year travelling too.

I've been away for around about 7 months ish over a period of 4 years but I spoke to the AFCO where my interview was taken today and they've said the best thing to do is appeal and see what it is they need from me to prove I'm of good character and was innocently just passing through the country.

I just wondered if April, you managed to get through the appeal process in the end or if you left it at that?

I'll update on the appeals process as I go along.

Cheers,

Whomper

I don't know at the moment - they don't seem to know what is going on! I am going to call them again on Friday as it will have been three weeks by that point. I know when I called and asked they said that I would need proof of where I was at every stage and I would also need to contact the FBI for America and the RCMP for Canada in order to get them both to provide me with proof that I didn't do anything criminal when I was over there.

I just read over your post and you got further than I did! Literally the day they received my application they called me up to tell me about the problem with the travelling.

Also I saw you had been referred to the army as well - I went and talked to the army and they told me they were somewhat more leniant with travelling and are more likely to appeal for you than the RAF are, but that it can take a large number of months at the moment due to how many people are applying. As what I was interested in was intelligence and personnel I was told that both are highly unlikely to get through the appeals process and so I was best waiting until enough years had passed to get rid of the residency problem.

Last edited:
Back