• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Another deserter

• Thread starter Thread starter easilybored
  • Start date Start date
E

easilybored

Yes, I'm another fairly clueless but keen wannabe deserter! Hello E-goat! I'm afraid that as well as introduction this thread is going to be largely questions to which I have not found answers yet - I apologise to those who know where these answers lie if I'm about to be the thousandth person to ask! Please dont crucify me!

I'm a serving soldier, JNCO, interested in the NCA crewman trade - ultimately Im interested in the SAR side of life and doing the winchman bit on rotary a/c. Although a number of searches have shown me alot of people from the green side try to jump ship to the RAF (lots of signals by the look of it), and that the role I'm interested in is popular - I'm still left with niggly yet vital questions! Not least of these, is how much choice do prospective NCA get in their streaming? There's a reason I've not volunteered for linguist training from the Army!

I read in an old thread that Phase 1/basic (the Halton part) is not required for transferees - as it was an old thread, I'd like to know if this is this still the case?

I'm a married man with two kids - although keen to work and "get stuck in" I'm also keen to avoid spending so much time in theatre that I may as well buy a property on BSN... would transferring to NCA be getting me into just such a situation? Any actual numbers on tour frequency and length would be brilliant.

Could anyone tell me the length of the NCA training, inclusive of the Sgts training and aircrew part, and if at any point during this training I would be able to get SFA (Im going to guess at no, but worth checking!)

Finally, for the family reason, the pay is of interest - Im aware that during training pay is significantly less than what I earn currently, as a singly this would not so bad, being married I would not be able to survive a pay-cut even temporarily. As a transferee would I incur a pay-cut. I have heard rumint that to transfer service I would infact "sign off" then "sign on" again - I imagine this would make the drop in pay pretty easy for Glasgow to do!

Anyone who has actually gone through the process I'd love to hear personal experiences too.

I hope someone can help me out, look forward to hearing from you!

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Yes, I'm another fairly clueless but keen wannabe deserter! Hello E-goat! Hello! I'm afraid that as well as introduction this thread is going to be largely questions to which I have not found answers yet Use the search feature in this forum...lots of gen about going NCA available - I apologise to those who know where these answers lie if I'm about to be the thousandth person to ask! Please dont crucify me!

I'm a serving soldier, JNCO, interested in the NCA crewman trade - ultimately Im interested in the SAR side of life and doing the winchman bit on rotary a/c. Still possible although time may be running out Although a number of searches have shown me alot of people from the green side try to jump ship to the RAF (lots of signals by the look of it), and that the role I'm interested in is popular Many thousands apply for each singular position - I'm still left with niggly yet vital questions! Not least of these, is how much choice do prospective NCA get in their streaming? You do the common phase of NCA professional training then based on your results of operating radios inflight and working the radar and also how well you did in academic phases you will be assessed and streamed...we might be very overborne in EW and ACO NCA soon so crewmen may be the only way to go There's a reason I've not volunteered for linguist training from the Army!

I read in an old thread that Phase 1/basic (the Halton part) is not required for transferees - as it was an old thread, I'd like to know if this is this still the case? I believe you will go through RTS like most others but I'm not 100% sure

I'm a married man with two kids - although keen to work and "get stuck in" I'm also keen to avoid spending so much time in theatre that I may as well buy a property on BSN... would transferring to NCA be getting me into just such a situation? As a rotary crewmen yes! fixed wing loadies may get a better bite of the cherry but they are away for lengthy chunks of time as well...The question you have to ask yourself is how long will AFG go on for?Any actual numbers on tour frequency and length would be brilliant. No real idea but I'll guess at at least 4 months of the year

Could anyone tell me the length of the NCA training, inclusive of the Sgts training and aircrew part, and if at any point during this training I would be able to get SFA (Im going to guess at no, but worth checking!) NCAITC is straight after RTS Halton and is very demanding...lots of people think they are fit on entering that course and find out otherwise during the first couple of weeks...still fun though. No idea on pro training these days...crewmen was never that long in comparison to EW but the holds they have to endure can be very long waiting for the next bit of the course to happen...SFA is unlikely for the crewmen course at Cranwell or Shawbury
Finally, for the family reason, the pay is of interest - Im aware that during training pay is significantly less than what I earn currently, as a singly this would not so bad, being married I would not be able to survive a pay-cut even temporarily. As a transferee would I incur a pay-cut. I have heard rumint that to transfer service I would infact "sign off" then "sign on" again - I imagine this would make the drop in pay pretty easy for Glasgow to do!

Once you've passed the NCAITC you are on what used to be JT's equivelent pay so not too bad...then it's a long haul to getting to the good money as you essentially have to become combat ready on your sqn to become substantive. Maybe the move isn't for you with your family in mind.

Anyone who has actually gone through the process I'd love to hear personal experiences too.

I went through as a married man with no kids at the time...hard but fun...definately not fair...Its an odd system is NCA and there is no beating it...Have a search around the recruitment forum and read what there is to read then come back to here with any further questions you may have...

Hope this helps.

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
I went through as a married man with no kids at the time...hard but fun...definately not fair...Its an odd system is NCA and there is no beating it...Have a search around the recruitment forum and read what there is to read then come back to here with any further questions you may have...

Hope this helps.

Yes, I'm another fairly clueless but keen wannabe deserter! Hello E-goat! I'm afraid that as well as introduction this thread is going to be largely questions to which I have not found answers yet - I apologise to those who know where these answers lie if I'm about to be the thousandth person to ask! Please dont crucify me!

I'm a serving soldier, JNCO, interested in the NCA crewman trade - ultimately Im interested in the SAR side of life and doing the winchman bit on rotary a/c. Although a number of searches have shown me alot of people from the green side try to jump ship to the RAF (lots of signals by the look of it), and that the role I'm interested in is popular - I'm still left with niggly yet vital questions! Not least of these, is how much choice do prospective NCA get in their streaming? There's a reason I've not volunteered for linguist training from the Army!

I read in an old thread that Phase 1/basic (the Halton part) is not required for transferees - as it was an old thread, I'd like to know if this is this still the case?

I'm a married man with two kids - although keen to work and "get stuck in" I'm also keen to avoid spending so much time in theatre that I may as well buy a property on BSN... would transferring to NCA be getting me into just such a situation? Any actual numbers on tour frequency and length would be brilliant.

Could anyone tell me the length of the NCA training, inclusive of the Sgts training and aircrew part, and if at any point during this training I would be able to get SFA (Im going to guess at no, but worth checking!)

You will do the RTS 9-week package along with everyone else. Seniority and your rank on entering service will be pre-determined before you enter, but as a transferee you will do nothing different from the DE entrants.

Back