• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Any Gen on GEs

I am an ATM (Sootie) snek looking for something different. I see on the PMA website they are looking for GEs for VC10 and C17s. I know the trg is about a year with a five year tour. I have no exp of big stuff, just fast jets and rotary.::/:

Whats the gen is a good life with plenty of veriety? will it stress my wife etc etc etc....?:PDT_Xtremez_28:

Whats the gen ben?:PDT_Xtremez_03:

I Look Like Kevin Costner

Grand Prix fanatic..
I am an ATM (Sootie) snek looking for something different. I see on the PMA website they are looking for GEs for VC10 and C17s. I know the trg is about a year with a five year tour. I have no exp of big stuff, just fast jets and rotary.::/:

Whats the gen is a good life with plenty of veriety? will it stress my wife etc etc etc....?:PDT_Xtremez_28:

I've heard for family life, its rubbish... Thats why I've not applied even though the experince would be invaluable for CAA stuff.

sumps

Sergeant

Why not phone BZN and ask to visit for a day or so...a picture paints a thousnd words - and seeing a face tells a story.

Dave-exfairy

Warrant Officer
An ex CT of mine was a GE on Herks and he loved it, was a family man as well. Did quite a bit of SF stuff as well. Like someone suggests, go take a look see and speak to some of the bods there, one man's meat is another man's poison.

Thanks for that guys, a picture does paint 1000 words. If anyone has got any hot poop pls let me know.:PDT_Xtremez_28:

Hi Sumps,

As the other guys say, give the SAGE a ring and possibly arrange a visit. I was a VC 10 GE for 6 years and had a couple of guys that were from the rotary side of the road, if you are the type of guy they are looking for then you should do okay during the course.

That is the crux of it though. I have interviewed a few applicants in the past and they did not know what they were getting into, or simple were not prepared for the long days away from the family. If you are single, pick up the phone, (you will not regret it), impress the SAGE/Flt Cmdr on a visit.

If you are married then speak to your family about it, (most of the section were either divorced or single with a few happily married guys), at length because being away from home for those lengths of time and on callout when you are at home can grind you down if you let it. I was married for some part of my time but my wife could not handle the life. That is the way it goes!

Apart from that, it is one hell of a buzz for 6 years. I had some bad trips but the vast majority were terrific. If you joined to see the world, that is the job for you.

One last thing to ponder over. We had a saying - You can know the aircraft back to front and upside down but if you can't get fuel in your aircraft in a hour in Bongobongoland then you should not be there.

That sums up the type of person you need to be.

Go on, you know it makes sense. Good luck.

S

Scrumpy Suppa

AGE's

AGE's

I am currently a GE on the J Herc and I tell u it does depend on which wide body u want. Without to trouble I'd say we are away the most averaging around 220 days a year away with most of that spent in some hole or another. The 'Nice' routes are a little far and few between these days. I know I'm beginning to get hacked off with it. That said the Herc does give you the most variety in terms of working hours and days being a tactical aircraft. Not sure many of the other aircraft do so many days and I know they don't fly with the aircraft once in theatre. Like the other guys say, come and see us, we don't bite much and if we can't get you going on the side of the runway we will certainly show you a great night out.

One warning though - Get ur wife on side and make sure she knows the time away(currently month on/month off) cos it can trash ur home life..........................

Last edited:
L

l1011ge

As most have said ring the sage at the different squadrons that have Ge's, and arrange a visit, that way you can see the stats about nights away etc yourself.
I am currently on Tristars, I have been told that C17s are desperately short of volunteers. You do not need experience for Tristar, Vc10 and C17 and Im guessing c130 might take you without experience but im not 100% sure.

The good days of globals and exotic routes have gone and the FSI system has just been messed up again (back to actuals) We as a sqn are trialling it.

Most routes are to one hole or another but it still has a few benefits.

Get your wife to agree and be honest with her about time away,

If you have young kids(and want school holidays, xmas plays etc) or a wife who wants you around all the time, forget it.
But Ive been doing since 1999 so it cant be that bad.

Pm me if you want info on L1011's

P

Pan Warrior

There are also GE slots on awacs, nimrods, and astor..:PDT_Xtremez_28:

rest have risen above me

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
As most have said ring the sage at the different squadrons that have Ge's, and arrange a visit, that way you can see the stats about nights away etc yourself.
I am currently on Tristars, I have been told that C17s are desperately short of volunteers. You do not need experience for Tristar, Vc10 and C17 and Im guessing c130 might take you without experience but im not 100% sure.

The good days of globals and exotic routes have gone and the FSI system has just been messed up again (back to actuals) We as a sqn are trialling it.
Most routes are to one hole or another but it still has a few benefits.

Get your wife to agree and be honest with her about time away,

If you have young kids(and want school holidays, xmas plays etc) or a wife who wants you around all the time, forget it.
But Ive been doing since 1999 so it cant be that bad.

Pm me if you want info on L1011's

Off Topic Whoa where's this little Gem come from I thought the FSI was safe until Sep?

Back