• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Anyone have any info on inter service transfers?

• Thread starter Thread starter kspooshus
  • Start date Start date
K

kspooshus

Hello everyone, sorry if this is in the wrong forum but i tried to get as close as i could. Im currently serving in the Infantry with the Army and am applying for a commission into the RAF.

I was thinking if i would have to complete the basic fieldcraft and weapon handling sections of IOT bearing in mind it has been my trade for the past 3 and a half years? If so not really a problem at all, just wondering.

Also im married, does anyone know if my wife would be entitled to married quarters? Someone said that she may have to stay on our current quarters however we are based in Germany right now and that would be a bit of a problem obviously :)

Final question, would i go down in pay also through training? Would i stay on my current rate from the army or would the raf provide me with an equivilant?

Thank you very much for any light anyone can shed on this. I have already spoken to the raf careers office but they didnt have much of an idea.

Adam

Drill Bit

Sergeant
Hello everyone, sorry if this is in the wrong forum but i tried to get as close as i could. Im currently serving in the Infantry with the Army and am applying for a commission into the RAF.

I was thinking if i would have to complete the basic fieldcraft and weapon handling sections of IOT bearing in mind it has been my trade for the past 3 and a half years? If so not really a problem at all, just wondering.

Also im married, does anyone know if my wife would be entitled to married quarters? Someone said that she may have to stay on our current quarters however we are based in Germany right now and that would be a bit of a problem obviously :)

Final question, would i go down in pay also through training? Would i stay on my current rate from the army or would the raf provide me with an equivilant?

Thank you very much for any light anyone can shed on this. I have already spoken to the raf careers office but they didnt have much of an idea.

Adam

You will have to complete all aspects of IOT I'm afraid.

You are entitled to a married qtr whilst on IOT; however you will have to (officially that is) stay in Number one Mess and CHOM for the duration.

You will not take a paycut but will transfer to officer rank and pay level closest to your current salary; probably end up in a slight raise but you won't have a pay cut.

K

kspooshus

ah right thats what i thought, no bother...quite looking forward to it. thanks for the reply. would be interesting to know how much time i could possible get with my family though...for example are weekends freed up after a certain amount of weeks or would it be pretty much 30 weeks of not seeing my wife.

i know you cant have your cake and eat it and all of that good stuff but no harm asking :)

Adam

N

Nuts

ah right thats what i thought, no bother...quite looking forward to it. thanks for the reply. would be interesting to know how much time i could possible get with my family though...for example are weekends freed up after a certain amount of weeks or would it be pretty much 30 weeks of not seeing my wife.

i know you cant have your cake and eat it and all of that good stuff but no harm asking :)

Adam

IOT is split into 3 terms so after each 10 weeks you get one or two weeks off (can't remember which now). Don't think you'll get many weekends off in Term 1 but after that you will get a fair few, obviously you get dicked with stuff like manning airshows etc which will take up weekends but its just a jumping through hoops exercise which will all be worth it after 30 weeks.

Good Luck

Back