• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Anyone with Sky email?

PingDit

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Problems! Sky recently changed their hosting service over to Google.
This necessitated each account holder changing their incoming and outgoing server addresses and port numbers. Then you have to go into your sky account, go to email/tools, and enable POP. Problem is, I'm not able to get to these settings! Not sure if it's a Vista problem or not.
Anyone out there been through this procedure and had similar problems?

Cheers,
Ping

Goatherdingsplitter

Rebel without a clue
This necessitated each account holder changing their incoming and outgoing server addresses and port numbers. Then you have to go into your sky account, go to email/tools, and enable POP. Problem is, I'm not able to get to these settings! Not sure if it's a Vista problem or not.

Cheers,
Ping

Had no problems enabling Pop on my system, however, I'm using XP Pro.

Scaley brat

Trekkie Nerd
1000+ Posts

Cheers,
Ping

Find your server addresses
pop.sky.com and
smtp.sky.com.
Change them to:
pop.sky.tools.com
smtp.sky.tools.com

Oh yes, you also have to enable SSL and that changes change the port number. I can't remember it off the top of my head though, sorry ping.

Sky havd sent a load of emails to everyone telling you it was coming and what to do, if you look on their webpage there was a link to a userguide complete with screen shots to ahelp you set up Outlook, Outlook express and Mozilla Thunderbird.

It's not an operating system problem, Vista and XP will have the same problem.
Hope this helps
Skyuser.co.uk said:
The thing is with this new sky service is that it is basically a branded version of Gmail. All the settings for Gmail work for Sky and the only difference is that you put in username@sky.com and your sky password to access the account.

I know you must be very bored and frustrated by now, but shall we start again?

If you delete the entry in outlook for your Sky account and try setting it up with the following instructions:

First of all go here and enter your username and password. You only need to put in the first part of your username, not the @sky.com bit. Fill in the captcha code underneath and press Unlock.

If you can't get past this then there is something wrong elsewhere. Please post what happens and we'll try to find a solution.

If that works then follow the instructions below:

1. Open Outlook.

2. Click the Tools menu, and select E-mail Accounts...

3. Click Add a new e-mail account, and click Next.

4. Choose POP3 as your server type by clicking the radio button, and click Next.

5. Fill in all necessary fields to include the following information:

User Information
Your Name: Enter your name as you would like it to appear in the From: field of outgoing messages.
Email Address: Enter your full Sky email address (username@sky.com)

Server Information
Incoming mail server (POP3): pop.sky.tools.com
Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.sky.tools.com

Login Information
User Name: Enter your Sky username (username@sky.com)
Password: Enter your sky password

6. Click More Settings... and then click the Outgoing Server tab.

7. Check the box next to My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication and select Use same settings as my incoming mail server.

8. Click the Advanced tab, and check the box next to This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL) under Incoming Server (POP3).

9. Check the box next to This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL) under Outgoing Server (SMTP), and enter 465 in the Outgoing server (SMTP) box.

10. Click OK.

11. Click Test Account Settings... After receiving Congratulations! All tests completed successfully, click Close.

12. Click Next, and then click Finish.
Try that dude

Last edited:
F

FairyGoodGuy

I've got Vista Home Premium and Office 2007 and I followed Sky's step by step guide and found no problems with it. So the problem is not just a Vista issue... Hope this helps...

PingDit

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Thanks everyone for your good advice. I've still got the problem though. I have successfully unlocked my account. I can also log in to My Sky and go to the Tools tab and log into tools. However, after doing this, I get a page saying that this facility is for Sky users only, but if I'm a member already, click 'here' to log in. It then sends me around the same route again and again and again.....
If I click on 'go to inbox' it just asks me to log in again! It already knows I'm logged in though and is showing my logged in name!

I've spoken to Sky who are working on it for me.....

Ping

Scaley brat

Trekkie Nerd
1000+ Posts
Thanks everyone for your good advice. I've still got the problem though. I have successfully unlocked my account. I can also log in to My Sky and go to the Tools tab and log into tools. However, after doing this, I get a page saying that this facility is for Sky users only, but if I'm a member already, click 'here' to log in. It then sends me around the same route again and again and again.....
If I click on 'go to inbox' it just asks me to log in again! It already knows I'm logged in though and is showing my logged in name!

I've spoken to Sky who are working on it for me.....

Ping

I hope your sitting down Ping, they are a bunch of fcuking chimps !
Have a look at the Sky User threads (like these) The blokes on there will advise you how to sort the problem far quicker than the bloody sky "ex spurts"

Back