• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

AOL Connection

• Thread starter Thread starter mad_mo
  • Start date Start date
M

mad_mo

Just had a call from a family member but ive not got AOL so not much help.

Can anyone who has AOL help?...

When they try to connect this message pops up :

'The computer was unable to connect to AOL ac/11020x84200104'

They called AOL but some chappy in Bangalore reckons its not AOL's problem and they need to call somebody out to look at the pc??????

M

monobrow

AOL is a bag of nails. But I have experience with them (unfortunately)

You'll have to be a tadge more specific though, Broadband or dialup? Using that god awful AOL program? if on broadband, what lights do they have on their modem? Or are they using a router?

Step by step, what is it doing and what is it not doing.

M

mad_mo

You'll have to be a tadge more specific though, Broadband or dialup?

It's dial-up mono. They have pulled the phone cable out and plugged in back in. On the 3 icons that light up and your connecting, only the first lights up and the error message appears in my first posting.

M

monobrow

Do they hear anything from the computer? There's usually a definitive "click" as the modem switches on. They should also get some kind of dial tone (sometimes from the speaker, sometimes from the modem itself inside the PC)

flintwich

Corporal
Just had a call from a family member but ive not got AOL so not much help.

Can anyone who has AOL help?...

When they try to connect this message pops up :

'The computer was unable to connect to AOL ac/11020x84200104'

They called AOL but some chappy in Bangalore reckons its not AOL's problem and they need to call somebody out to look at the pc??????

My AOL dumped on me earlier this year. Spent 2 x 45 minute calls to the sub continent and AOL were adamant it wasn't a software problem so couldn't help.
Went to Dixons, got the free aol disc, installed and everything now aok.
Don't trust anything the call centre says.

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
You can have a look HERE MM. Failing that, I would do an uninstall, then re-install and see if that makes a difference.

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
I used to get the 1 light syndrome alot when I used to have AOL. You need to reinstall the modem drivers. Failing that you'll have to install AOL again.
(I downloaded the drivers from AOL and saved them to my desktop for ease of access. I had to do this a hell of a lot.)

One of the reasons I binned AOL, that and getting disconnections all the time. Strangely enough AOL were no help whatsoever and always asked me to do what I had already told them I had done!

If you are insistent enough that you've had enough they will offer a new wireless modem just to keep your custom. I took great relish in telling them to shove it as I had already signed up with another provider!!!

AOL, a waste of bandwidth.............

Back