• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Application to OASC

T

Tor

I have registered over the phone interest in Air Traffic Control Officer. i have been told that they will contact me when a position is available but didn't give any kind of time line. I'm 32 and a bit concerned that i haven't got a lot of time if i'm not successful on my first application.

i've read a lot on the RAF website and on this forum and i've read lots of different things like positions becoming available and within hours being closed again.

i'm also confused about how the process seems to work in the application process when it comes to becoming an officer. From what i've read on this forum it seems that you apply and then are asked to go forward for OASC from there before even going for the 4 day selection

Thanks for any light you can shine on my queries

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
I have registered over the phone interest in Air Traffic Control Officer. i have been told that they will contact me when a position is available but didn't give any kind of time line. I'm 32 and a bit concerned that i haven't got a lot of time if i'm not successful on my first application.

i've read a lot on the RAF website and on this forum and i've read lots of different things like positions becoming available and within hours being closed again.

i'm also confused about how the process seems to work in the application process when it comes to becoming an officer. From what i've read on this forum it seems that you apply and then are asked to go forward for OASC from there before even going for the 4 day selection

Thanks for any light you can shine on my queries

To be honest mate, asking for a time line is like asking how long's a piece of string. As you are probably aware, post-SDSR recruiting figures are still very much up in the air and won't be finalised for a while yet. The best advice I can give is to hold on until your nearest AFCO get in touch with you. WRT how the application works, once vacancies arise, your AFCO will get in touch with you and arrange what is known as a P2 filter interview and presentation. Only if you are deemed suitable to proceed after the P2 interview will you go to OASC.

Hope this helps.

M

MQ-9 Reaper

Yeah, if you pass the filter interview at AFCO you then go for selection at OASC Cranditz.

There are 3 chop points over the 3/4 days. The first is on the first Afternoon after the aptitude tests. Second is after the planning exercises & hanger phase and the Third is after the Interview but you dont get told about the third chop point results untill after you leave OASC via letter.

T

Tor

Thanks for the responses, they were great.

I've also read something about an OASC Bible, could anyone tell me what this is.

Finally, from further reading it seems that people talk about being offered there second choice yet you are only able to register interest for one position - anyone shine any light on this?

M

MQ-9 Reaper

I've also read something about an OASC Bible, could anyone tell me what this is.

Finally, from further reading it seems that people talk about being offered there second choice yet you are only able to register interest for one position - anyone shine any light on this?

thats not true, you can apply for as many as you like........ but you will be torn to bits and interrogated in the interview on every one of your branch choices. the more you put down the harder you make it for yourself as you need to know as much as your grey matter can retain on everything about what your applying for!

T

Tor

thats not true, you can apply for as many as you like........ but you will be torn to bits and interrogated in the interview on every one of your branch choices. the more you put down the harder you make it for yourself as you need to know as much as your grey matter can retain on everything about what your applying for!

Thanks, i was told over the phone that i could only apply for one which didn't seem to match up to what i've read on here. I'm going to go into the careers office tomorrow, think it's easier to get answers face to face

Thanks so much for your help

Last question still to be answered - any ideas what the OASC Bible is??!?!?!?!??

A

amfortas

Time line??

The THIRD time I went to OASC, the WgCdr Board Chair said, "Son, this is the third time here. What are you going to do if we turn you down again?" I replied, "Sir, this is your last chance".

After being Commissioned at last, I went back to OASC to do the Selection Officers Course, just to find out what the hell they wanted. I was the first ATCO to do that, by the way.

T

Tor

Time line??

I had wondered if anyone had any idea what month they might be looking to recruit again as i have read about some people being given an idea of an appoximate time line for other trades.

Last edited:

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts

One thing I will always recommend as a recruiter is to have more than one choice on your application. You can have up to three choices. If, for whatever reason you fall short for the branch you want, if you have other branches on your list you can be moved down that line. If you just have the one branch on your application and you fail to be selected for that, you will be removed from the selection process. It all depends what you want to do and how motivated you are towards a service career. But definitely have more than one branch choice on there, just to cover yourself.

As for an 'OASC Bible', I've never heard of anything like that. There's very little you can prep for on OASC, especially the aptitude tests - you either have it or you don't. Buy a Nintendo DS with Brain Trainer, keep on top of current affairs, practice GCSE+ maths, and get as much experience as you can leading and managing people and resources is really what you can prep for. Your AFCO should point you in the right direction.

T

Tor

Sorry, after a further search i realised that the OASC bible is just a nickname that one person gave to one of the booklets you get from the careers office.

Thanks for all your advice, from other advice as well i have decided to put myself down for another choice. I believe as long as i know everything there is possible to know on the choices i've put down i'll be ok.

Now off to do lots of research - any branch recommendations would be more than gratefully received. I do like to hear about people who love there jobs.