• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Are you allowed to join RAF with flat feet?

Djentz

LAC
This might seem a bit bizarre but allow me to start from the beginning.

Upon starting my degree i thought i would join the TA to earn some extra cash and get some experience for if i wanted to join the armed forces after i finished university I passed the barb test but when it came to the medical they instantly barred me due to having flat feet (even though i would have easily passed the fitness test and was in good shape). The TA doctor said that due to me being barred from the TA it would also ban me from all other forces (Navy, marines, and RAF). Is this true? and is flat feet a problem when joining the RAF (either intelligence officer role or something similar)

any help is appreciated

Dragoon

Sergeant
Yes. (But speaking from me joining in 2002)

I have flat feet and did my time no worries, although my dad did insist I went to the local medcen to check with the RAF doctor first. He said it was no problem, and I didn't have any problems whilst yomping around Wales etc with bergens on my back.

Tango

LAC
Yeah, you can. I had my medical in September and it was fine, one thing to watch out for is shin splints, but you can get orthotic insoles to fix that.

Djentz

LAC
Thanks for the advice,

So it's not true about me being barred from all armed forces? Would you recommend me mentioning it to the careers office?

Tango

LAC
Nah, it's really not a problem, alot of people are flat-footed they must see it all the time. It's not a medical risk or anything so they're not bothered.

Liggy

LAC
I'm going into the regiment, had my PGSC there at the start of the month and passed.

On the final day, we had to walk up and down this hi-tech panel. It x-rays our feet or something, I'm near sure it's built round heat-thermal. Anyway, people had flat feet and high-arched feet like myself. It's no problem, they just gave us advice on what running shoes etc to purchase.

Hope this helped.