• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Army, REME SSgt Aircraft Artificer transferring to RAF as Engineering Officer

Afternoon everyone,

Just looking for some information, help or advice that people out there may be able to help me with.

I am a current serving Staff Sergeant Aircraft Artificer in the REME who has completed 13.5 years and i am considering a transfer to the RAF as an Engineering Officer. I understand it has been done before but i am unable to find any offical information on the process and what exactly happens.

I have been to see my RCMO and he has been in contact with RAF Cranwell who have told me to complete the application form for the RAF and to complete the general transfer request and that will start the process.

I was therefore wondering if anyone has any experience of this or if anyone could answer some of the many questions i have:

1. What is the exact process and approximate timeframe for this transfer?
2. What training would i be required to complete? Would i be required to complete all of IOT or would i do a shorter version as LE officers do in the Army?
3. What rank would i be awarded on completion of transfer and training? (Would i get seniority for my previosu service)
4. Would i keep my current pay level or would i be required to reduce to a trainee officer pay?
5. How would my pension be affected?

I know i am asking for a lot but any help would be appreciated. Also any other information would be greatly received

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!

FOGHORN LEGHORN

Sergeant
I'm due to graduate next week and we have a CPO on our course so I'd have thought you'd do the full course too. He went through the exact same process as the rest of us i.e. P2 presentation, interview, OASC, fam visit. The only thing he has found is that even though he attested he remained in the navy detached to Cranwell. Hope this helps.

FOGHORN LEGHORN

Sergeant
You would graduate as a flying officer but would reach flight lieutenant after a year as they will give you seniority due to your present rank. Your pay will be unaffected whilst in training but you will get a 5% pay rise on graduation and 2% when you reach Flt Lt.

You would graduate as a flying officer but would reach flight lieutenant after a year as they will give you seniority due to your present rank. Your pay will be unaffected whilst in training but you will get a 5% pay rise on graduation and 2% when you reach Flt Lt.

Foghorn,

Thanks for the quick reply it's very much appreciated.

When you say that my pay would remain unaffected, do you mean that i would stay on my current salary (£38k) or would it be the same as a basic officer recruit?

FOGHORN LEGHORN

Sergeant
Your pay would stay unchanged and you will still get any increments you would have received had you not commissioned. When you graduate you will be put onto the pay scale closest to you pay but not not less than what you earn. That in your case will probably be on the Flt Lt scale so you would mark time on your pay at commissioning plus 5% increase until you reach Flt Lt. You would then get a 2% pay rise and continue on up the increments. If that took you into the Sqn Ldr pay scale then I think you mark time until you reach Sqn Ldr. Hope this helps.

Your pay would stay unchanged and you will still get any increments you would have received had you not commissioned. When you graduate you will be put onto the pay scale closest to you pay but not not less than what you earn. That in your case will probably be on the Flt Lt scale so you would mark time on your pay at commissioning plus 5% increase until you reach Flt Lt. You would then get a 2% pay rise and continue on up the increments. If that took you into the Sqn Ldr pay scale then I think you mark time until you reach Sqn Ldr. Hope this helps.

Foghorn,

That helps a great deal.

The pay and pension were 2 of my greatest concerns with this trnasfer. If i will remain on my current pay and 'Mark time', then this is something i could easily accept. As you can imagine i was not overly keen on dropping approx £15k per annum for the first 5 years.

I don't suppose that you know what happened with the CPO's pension do you? Did his previous pension years transfer across towards his new RAF pension or did he in effect start a new pension meaning he has to serve 18 years to get a pension.

Sorry for all the questions but there is very liitle offical information available on this.

Mag2grid

Corporal
You would go on to the full IOT rather then SERE, there was talk of Flt Sgts and equivalent above being sent on SERE rather then IOT, but I don't know if anything ever came of it( this was back when RAFC was churning out 150+ officers every 10 weeks and CHOM/No.1 mess was bursting)

FOGHORN LEGHORN

Sergeant
No problem. His pension transfers across as will yours. If you need tips on the application process, OASC and IOT message me as they come along. Good luck

No problem. His pension transfers across as will yours. If you need tips on the application process, OASC and IOT message me as they come along. Good luck

Thanks a lot for the offer, it's very much appreciated. I will definately take you up on it.

Just out of interest, approximately how long is appplication process??

FOGHORN LEGHORN

Sergeant
It is different for every individual. To give you an example I attended my P2 presentation in February last year, interview was in March then OASC was brought forward from June to May. A week after OASC I was on my fam visit and started IOT 2nd July. That was very quick compared to others I spoke to about it. Another guy who was at the same P2 presentation as me is just finishing term 1 so like I say, it varies. Service needs and your performance etc all effect what timescale your application takes. Be patient and make sure you prepare for everything although I'm sure you already know that.

Back