• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ASOp

• Thread starter Thread starter bradleysparkes
  • Start date Start date

ASOp

• University & University Air Squadron

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • RAF & Open University Degree

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters
B

bradleysparkes

I'm relatively new to the forum so I'll start by saying hello to everyone.

My current situation is somewhat confusing to myself. I'm working part-time whilst re-taking exams in my third year of sixth form but am completely unsure about whether university is for me.

I fell in love with the WSOp trade not too long ago and passed my aptitude test before being booked in for a filter interview. However my medical history has ruled me out of this trade for at least 2 years as I have a repeat prescription for Hayfever on my record in 2008.

I have been mulling over taking one of the following two paths:

Go to University, Join a University Air Squadron, Run up a huge student debt and re-apply for WSOp after everything is finished.

or

Join the RAF in a lesser role such as ASOp (where the skills learnt can later be applied to WSOp), earn some money in the meantime, get used to life in the RAF, Study an Open University Degree and Overall look a much better candidate for WSOp later down the line when I wish to re-trade.

I used to be an Air Cadet so am certain the RAF is for me, but I really don't see University as being the best option out of the above two. I was just hoping that somebody might be able to give me some advice as to whether the RAF would support me in following the ASOp path and whether it would be my best option.

Cheers in advance.

(I have 11 GCSE's and 3 A-Level's as it stands, however wouldn't want to apply for a trade that I know I wouldn't enjoy.)

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
There does seem to be a tendancy within this forum for people to leap at any trade once the trade they actually want to do puts up a bit of resistance!

If you want to be a WSOp then hold out and be a WSOp! Don't short change yourself just because you have to wait a year or so...It may have escaped your attention but we are about to go through some enforced 'restructuring' over the next few years so I would wait a bit anyway to see what is left to join to be honest...

Why not go volunteer somewhere abroad for a year...Keep a weather eye on the recruiting situation whilst doing that and come back when it's looking peachier...Something of that calibre on your resume would make you stick out against the 1000's of other applicants who have 'helped out' a bit down the local scout group when you've been wrestling tigers or whatever there is to do! You'll build your confidence, physical stamina and life experiences whilst having a laugh...

One more thing...although it's perfectly allowable to re-trade it's not exactly all that easy...So to map your life out with those variables as part of it may not pan out as well as you want...we'll want some work back for the money we spend on your training before you can try for another job and we'll almost certainly keep you busy on OOA's etc which may just kick the impedus to move across out of you...I've seen it happen.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I am with him. Earn enough for a ticket out of there and get yourself a years worth of life bruising, humility building anecdotes under your belt. Identify yourself as something with a little more spark that the homogenous, nervous adolescents that crowd the place out......then come back and claim the role as yours.

Stingray

Sergeant
I am with him. Earn enough for a ticket out of there and get yourself a years worth of life bruising, humility building anecdotes under your belt. Identify yourself as something with a little more spark that the homogenous, nervous adolescents that crowd the place out......then come back and claim the role as yours.

As an ex ASOp who became a WSOp, let me just tell you that changing trades is not that easy.
Remember after all your training to become an ASOp, then learning the basics on your first draft, promotion to SAC etc, it is then that you are actually productive. Do not be under the illusion that simply after a year or so you can put your application in and pronto, you are there. there are possibilities that your application will not be supported by line management etc.

Take Vim's advice and wait. Do some voluntary work in the community which always impresses. If you really want to be a WSOp, apply for it.
Do not fall into the trap of applying for something you don't want to do.

By the way. An ASOp trade does not prepare you in any way for the varied work open to WSOp's. Sometimes it can be a hindrance.

Best of luck in whatever role you pursue.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Take Vim's advice and wait. Do some voluntary work in the community which always impresses. If you really want to be a WSOp, apply for it.
Do not fall into the trap of applying for something you don't want to do.

Ummmmmm. that's what I meant. I would never advocate getting in first and trying to change codes later as a plan. I was simply saying that the Vol work does impress, but so does a lot of entrepeneurial stuff as well...plus it's more comfortable to listen to later (and it's more likely to get him laid).

B

bradleysparkes

I appreciate the words of advice. I think above all, I'm in a situation where I have minimal time to make a decision about my future. I have made my mind up that the RAF and more specifically WSOp is for me, however the medical setback has sent that idea back to the chiller for at least two years.

Above all, I want to make the most of my time right now and am ready to commit myself to doing something to better myself. Through consideration of the ASOp route I fully acknowledge that it is by no means a short term road and I am fully prepared to commit myself to the 8 year period that the trade demands before re-trading.

I do believe that an Open University Degree is better suited to myself rather than formally going to University. However, doing the 3 year (or more) OU degree would also require me to work full-time alongside it and that's what prompted me to look at joining the RAF as ASOp.

After considering the replies received so far, would this option perhaps be wisest:

Find a full time job, Study the OU degree, Join the RAF reserves and Re-apply when my medical record is clear of hay fever for 4 years.

Thanks again for all of the advice!

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
would this option perhaps be wisest:

Find a full time job, Study the OU degree, Join the RAF reserves and Re-apply when my medical record is clear of hay fever for 4 years.

All I can say is what I would do...

Once in we'll keep you busy...I've done (as have many) an OU degree whilst serving and some times I was under considerable pressure to complete work whilst deployed and that wasn't a position I liked being in...there are few things worse than sitting slogging at your books whilst your mukkas are getting stuck into a bucketful of cocktails and having a great time!

But I do think that getting your education up to scratch is very important and once you have joined and at the time I type this you are entitled to a Standard Learning Credit (SLC) every year of £175 which you can towards your OU fee's...plus I believe you can claim mileage to attend any tutorials or summer camps but as I've never attended any myself don't quote me on that part!

When going for WSOp and this has never been truer than now in the present climate we can be picky...I mean really really picky...So unless you've been doing something fairly spectacular in the sporting/community/educational/life departments you IMO are skating on thin ice...Search the recruitment forums for threads that have covered the subject of improving your chances but it's not difficult to suss what you need to do...Imagine you are the interviewing board at OASC...You are interviewing your 30th candidate of the day and they have all been a bit the same...in walks someone who has been wrestling baboons in darkest Africa and helped out at a soup kitchen over Christmas...He's driven himself through some further education and was the treasurer for the local kids rugby team...You think to yourself 'Now theres a bloke who could endure the rigeurs of aircrew training and show a bit of character with it!'

Get my drift?

Back