• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

AST What happens

• Thread starter Thread starter nikkijph
  • Start date Start date
N

nikkijph

HI

I have my AST on the 1 St july, and am wandering what else happens that day..as in interview wise?

are you asked questions on general RAF, what they do? equipment or is all that in OSAC?

Cheers

T

Toxicseagull

you get shown a short film and are given a slide show, with a guy talking you through it and explaining certain basics ( R.I.S.E, NATO, Command struct, planes of the RAF etc) some of which will feature in your interview presuming you pass. you can make notes but its all on the web.

then we got taken one to one to give us our results and if need be have a discussion about your trade if you still want to do it, or if you can still do it (last chance to swap without major hassle)

S

SimpleSimon

There's a general briefing before you actually sit the tests, talking about the RAF in general, getting you up to speed on what happens in the AST itself and the rest of the selection/application process. After you sit the test they'll speak to everyone individually and let you know how you got on, and what trades/branches you can go for based on your score and maybe have a chat with you about other options to consider,e tc, etc. If you get the required score for your chosen branch, and don't change your mind they'll arrange for you to come back for a formal interview in future.
Good luck!

N

nikkijph

This is great!!

DO i need to know about aircrafts that are in service and what type to or dont they go in as detail?

I have general knowledge abt NATO, ISAF, current ops or is this needed more when you go to OSAC?

T

Toxicseagull

i didnt need to for my interviews. they just showed us a picture of each and asked us if we knew what they were during the discussion.

nato, isaf and the names of some of the bases was what i got asked about

N

nikkijph

so yeah u do need to know about aircraft lol!

Nato, ISAF, current ops n why were are at war in afghan 's sorted!

Right studying for me tonight yet again lol!

carla

LAC
I had mine a few weeks ago and they didn’t ask us anything like that. All we were asked was to identify the Aircraft that were on a screen saver whilst we waited but no marks were given.

We all sat in a room while they checked our documents, then we went up to the room to sit the AST.

After this we went for lunch while they marked our ASTs. Then we went one at a time to get our results and confirm our trade choice.

Everyone then went for a presentation, they showed us a short film about the RAF. We could then ask questions about Halton as there was a lad there who had just finished. After he left we was given information on the interview and the next steps.

T

Toxicseagull

so yeah u do need to know about aircraft lol!
it was just a casual question in the slideshow, i was the only one that replied in our group, it wasnt win or lose.

Nato, ISAF, current ops n why were are at war in afghan 's sorted!
thats all for your formal interview. sorry if i wasnt clear. :)

N

nikkijph

That's great! I wasn't sure if you had to know this for this initial interview...

T

Toxicseagull

yeh on the AST day it'll just be a intro to the RAF kind of thing, similar stuff to what you can find on the careers website.

the NATO/ISAF stuff is for the formal interview on another day, but its mentioned in the intro so you can take notes if you wish.

Y

Yidmister

This is great!!

DO i need to know about aircrafts that are in service and what type to or dont they go in as detail?

I have general knowledge abt NATO, ISAF, current ops or is this needed more when you go to OSAC?

Just so you know, if you are sitting the AST you wont be going to OASC. OASCstands for Office and Airmans Selection Centre. Only officers, Non- commissioned aircrew and SNCO Air traffic controllers go to OASC.

With regard to what happens after your AST. It does depend which AFCO you are attending, each one does it slightly different. After you finish your test you normally sit a presentation which is followed by a debrief about how you did in you test. Here you will find out if you have scored for your chosen trade. From there you will be booked a medical date.

Hope this helps

N

nikkijph

Just so you know, if you are sitting the AST you wont be going to OASC. OASCstands for Office and Airmans Selection Centre. Only officers, Non- commissioned aircrew and SNCO Air traffic controllers go to OASC.

With regard to what happens after your AST. It does depend which AFCO you are attending, each one does it slightly different. After you finish your test you normally sit a presentation which is followed by a debrief about how you did in you test. Here you will find out if you have scored for your chosen trade. From there you will be booked a medical date.

Hope this helps

Yes it does,

I am attending liverpool AFCO, OASC is further down the line before PRTC isinit? I get slightly confused with part of recruitment!

Y

Yidmister

Yes it does,

I am attending liverpool AFCO, OASC is further down the line before PRTC isinit? I get slightly confused with part of recruitment!

No you dont go to OASC. You not going to be an officer or Aircrew. You are what is called a non commissioned trade, so no OASC!!!

Back