• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Asthma

• Thread starter Thread starter runningman85
  • Start date Start date
R

runningman85

Hi all, thanks for taking the time to read what must be the umptenth question re asthma, i know you cannot give me a concrete answer but any info or advice you can give would be most helpful. In short im in the process of having my first interview with an afco with the view to becoming an intelligence officer, i suffered two asthma attacks at around the ages of 10-11. I have not suffered one ever since, however near enough 2 yrs ago i got a chest infection went to my gp who prescribed me an inhaler as a precaution, i never used it. Will this be an automatic rejection. Before applying for the role i went back to my gp who has been the same one all my life and spoke to him regarding the situation and he said if asked he would catergorically state that i no longer showed anysign or symptoms of asthma and it prescription was purely precautionary. It's killing me because i'm 24 now and i couldn't wait another 2 years to join and it's not like im unfit, i ran a 2hr 54min marathon 6months ago!

Thanks for reading

K

Krusty_Crab

Your doctor says you don't have asthma and who can remember what they had at age 10, it was probably just a chest infection. If you can run a Marathon in under 3 hours you'll leave the staff behind on basic training. Apply, tell the truth - you don't have asthma -simple. Have you ever suffered from it? - not that you can remember.

R

runningman85

but if the med officer goes through my med records he'll see a prescription for an inhaler about 2 years ago, and according to the blurb you gotta be free for 4 years, even if it was prescribed wrongly. Is there a test they do to see if you suffer from asthma in the med? i don't wanna lie in my application and then get found out, as im applying as an officer i would thought integrity would be a basic requirement!

K

Krusty_Crab

but if the med officer goes through my med records he'll see a prescription for an inhaler about 2 years ago, and according to the blurb you gotta be free for 4 years, even if it was prescribed wrongly. Is there a test they do to see if you suffer from asthma in the med? i don't wanna lie in my application and then get found out, as im applying as an officer i would thought integrity would be a basic requirement!
Explain that you were prescribed the inhaler as a precaution when you had the chest infection. Your GP sounds like an approachable bloke get him to write a letter (his practice manager will probably charge you for it) explaining that you didn't have asthma but he prescribed it as a precaution. They could give you a breath volumetric test but if you can run 26 miles in 3 hours you should be out to blow it out of the window.

R

runningman85

Cheers for the heads up crusty, just one quick question if i may, would you think it'd be a good idea for me to get a breath volumetric test done my own GP to go alongside his letter, prior to my visit to OASC (that being i get that far!) or should i just leave it?

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Truth?

Truth?

Forget just telling the truth, try being honest with the AFCO. Tell them about the Inhaler, and explain the circumstances, you should be able to push for a Medical Proforma that you can take to your GP and return to the AFCO (Get him to include a supporting letter and the volumetric details if possible). This will go to the Medical Staff at Cranwell and they will make a decision, probably to test you if you get to OASC.

Good Luck.

R

runningman85

Do you think it would be a good idea to get volumetric test and supporting letter before my initial visit to the AFCO? Or am i putting the horse before the cart? I've got nearly a month till my interview so it's plenty of time.

Once again thanks for your help it's greatly appreciated!

Back