• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

AST's

• Thread starter Thread starter Westendriot
  • Start date Start date
W

Westendriot

Hi, i've read elsewhere on the forum about people doing their AST's to find out what trades they would be suitable for, and i was just wondering at what stage you do this.

The reason i ask is that i went to my local AFCO not long ago and told them there were a few trades that interested me, weapons tech, aircraft tech etc. I was basically told to go away and come back when i knew for certain EXACTLY what i wanted to do. However, the information on the website and the leaflets they give you about the trade is a bit limited so i don't know how i could be sure which one i'd be most suited for at this stage.

I thought i'd be able to pick a couple of similar types of jobs and then do some tests to see which i'd be most qualified and most suitable for. Is this not the case?

Any advice is appreciated, thanks.
progress.gif

M

Military_Muscle

You arrange with your AFCO to sit your AST, upon completion you will be given a list of all the trades, on the list is the required score to apply for each trade.

- So basically you sit the tests, get the results and hopefully you'll have a high enough score for your desired trade.

After this the application process continues ....

:PDT_Xtremez_30:

W

Winny

I got booked on my AST after Id handed in my application forms and documents (passport birth certificate etc), although I got a month to wait for it :PDT_Xtremez_26:

However I'm lucky enough to have been a bit of a dunce at school greatly cutting down the trade selection process for me :PDT_Xtremez_30:

M

Military_Muscle

Ok, make sure you get some revision done. There are plenty of websites/books out there to help. Plus look at it this way; the extra bit of revision may lead to an extra few points, thus opening up more trades for you to consider.

:PDT_Xtremez_30:

Y

Yidmister

You dont have to know what trade you want to apply for before sitting the AST. Obviously it would be nice if you did know but its not essential. If you are unsure about any of the trades and what they envolve look at the RAF Careers Website it should have all the information you require. If you do sit the test without know which trade you wish to apply for the AFCO will give you your results and on there will be a list of all the trades you can apply for. From there you can go home do some research and when you come to the selection Interview you will be asked to confirm which trades you wish to apply for. Hope this helps.

Back