• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Atx Psu ?

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
I understand that the PSU in a PC needs a load of some sort on one or more of its outputs. Can anyone advise me what sort of load/s would keep it alight?.

I've had to change one on my old Athlon (Abit KB7? mbd) which the missus uses (yes, it was the PSU that went sour). But I noticed that the 12v output is anything up to 12A and at 15 quid, it's worth trying for use on my Transmitters.

Would it handle a varying load (FM Tx) from, say 2A to 8A when the PTT is pressed ?

:PDT_Xtremez_26:

PVRisthefuture

Sergeant
I understand that the PSU in a PC needs a load of some sort on one or more of its outputs.

But I noticed that the 12v output is anything up to 12A and at 15 quid, it's worth trying for use on my Transmitters.

Do it then, it's only £15.

Would it handle a varying load (FM Tx) from, say 2A to 8A when the PTT is pressed ?

Well, 8A is less than 12A, so, why not? Give it a welly, thought you were a techie! What's the worst that can happen?

Were you pals with Derek Shaw by chance? All TG3 bods will know were this is going...

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
Thanks guys.
$115 is rather a lot for what I need at present.
Sorry PVR, I don't recall the name Derek Shaw.

Some SM power supplies do not like the sudden change in a load, hence the question. The connection details are most welcome, confirming some info I found earlier.

But my only 'worry' is that I don't know which supplies require a load to boot them up. So, for example, if the required load is normally seen on the +5v, I can use a small incandescent lamp, a load resistor or even an LED. I plan on LEDs on the case anyway.

Lastly, this one's not for me (I prefer a linear PSU; much less noise), it's for my local spaceys.

--------

Incidentally, I tried the new PSU in the PC earlier. It does not light up !

:PDT_Xtremez_09:

CodeMonkey

Flight Sergeant
Thanks guys.
$115 is rather a lot for what I need at present.
Sorry PVR, I don't recall the name Derek Shaw.

Some SM power supplies do not like the sudden change in a load, hence the question. The connection details are most welcome, confirming some info I found earlier.

But my only 'worry' is that I don't know which supplies require a load to boot them up. So, for example, if the required load is normally seen on the +5v, I can use a small incandescent lamp, a load resistor or even an LED. I plan on LEDs on the case anyway.

Lastly, this one's not for me (I prefer a linear PSU; much less noise), it's for my local spaceys.

--------

Incidentally, I tried the new PSU in the PC earlier. It does not light up !

:PDT_Xtremez_09:

when you short the PS ON line the supply should turn on all it's loads. The Purple(+5V Standby) should be permantly high or perhaps high when the PSU is off. I haven't got a spare one lying around to confirm this though.

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
Further investigation this evening produce not a flicker, but it is NOT a 400 supply, but a 250w.
So the 400w supply will be experimented with to get +12 v for something else (like the transmitter).

Quote CM: when you short the PS ON line the supply should turn on all it's loads. The Purple(+5V Standby) should be permanently high or perhaps high when the PSU is off.

By 'high' you mean unconnected or connected to the +5v output. ?
The PS ON is a green wire. Connect to earth ?

CodeMonkey

Flight Sergeant
Further investigation this evening produce not a flicker, but it is NOT a 400 supply, but a 250w.
So the 400w supply will be experimented with to get +12 v for something else (like the transmitter).

Quote CM: when you short the PS ON line the supply should turn on all it's loads. The Purple(+5V Standby) should be permanently high or perhaps high when the PSU is off.

By 'high' you mean unconnected or connected to the +5v output. ?
The PS ON is a green wire. Connect to earth ?

(Assumption here)As in it should be at +5V when the PSU is receiving power from the mains but the green wire is not shorted to earth.

If you can give me a while i'll yank a PSU out of a tower i have and test it out for you. There may be slight delay but i will try it out for you.

CodeMonkey

Flight Sergeant
Just back from ripping a PSU out of a tower.

Just back from ripping a PSU out of a tower.

Ok i have just tested the following(re-worded because mrs CM thought it sounded like a dig)

Short Pin 14 - PSON(GREEN) to Pin 13 - GND and the PSU switches on. I measured +12V and + 5V on the molex connectors. You must leave the shorting link in place for this to work.

As for the +5VSB(Purple) it remained high when the PSU output was switched on or off.

I also confirmed the other voltages present as listed on the link earlier.

Last edited:
Back