• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Free AV Software?

Quagmire

LAC
Can anyone recommend a decent site to download free AV/firewall?

Have heard conflicting stuff about subscriptions etc.

Max Reheat

Resident Drunk
1000+ Posts
I had a problem when some idiot was threatening to hack me, a computer programmer friend recommended Avira to me.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
I've used Avast in the past without issues. Currently using AVG, again no complaints.

spike7451

Flight Sergeant
I use Microsoft Security Essentials along with Spybot SD which runs in the background.No problems so far...

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Forgot to add, wrt the subscription, avast is obviously free, and you renew each year...

Bignick

Corporal
Been using AVG for years now with out problem, rest of the family do too, again, without problems:PDT_Xtremez_30:

BMEWSIII

LAC
used to use AVGFree but now use security essentials. The reason is because it's so tightly integrated in with the O/S. The definitions are updated regularly too.

The key thing is to have something whether it be AVG, Avast, Security Essentials or something else.

Teh Wal

Flight Sergeant
AVG works, simple, never had a virus.
Just cos you've never had one doesn't mean you dont have one. Not all Av programs are equal and not all see viruses (virii?) that others may catch, even the subscription Av programs are not 100% garanteed to catch the nasties. The paid for Av programs will provide automatic complete protection whereas the freebies usually hold back at automatic protection - i.e. they dont check incoming email messages and attachments.
Been using freebie Avira for the past few years and it seems to keep me relativily virus free although there was something that sneaked through last October which killed my system.

It's a good idea to occasionally run something like SpyBot or Malwarebytes too to protect against spyware/malware. Av programs generally dont provide this kind of protection.

Have at look at this site and make your own mind up --> http://www.av-comparatives.org/

Last edited:

spike7451

Flight Sergeant
Just cos you've never had one doesn't mean you dont have one. Not all Av programs are equal and not all see viruses (virii?) that others may catch, even the subscription Av programs are not 100% garanteed to catch the nasties. The paid for Av programs will provide automatic complete protection whereas the freebies usually hold back at automatic protection - i.e. they dont check incoming email messages and attachments.
Been using freebie Avira for the past few years and it seems to keep me relativily virus free although there was something that sneaked through last October which killed my system.

It's a good idea to occasionally run something like SpyBot or Malwarebytes too to protect against spyware/malware. Av programs generally dont provide this kind of protection.

Have at look at this site and make your own mind up --> http://www.av-comparatives.org/

I have Spybot running alongside my AV so if something tries to install itself on my lappy,it alerts me to it & removes it.I also have Malwarebytes as well as a back up just in case.
AVG was a good little AV programme at one time but has,imho,became too bloated & not as good as it was.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts

Well it works for me and has done for many a year, I've put it on the family computers and any relatives that ask always get a recommendation of AVG, although the repeated attempts to add extra firefox bars is getting annoying.

If you lots of streaming or downloading from less legal sites you may need a bit more protection but for legal browsing it does fine.

Teh Wal

Flight Sergeant
Well it works for me and has done for many a year, I've put it on the family computers and any relatives that ask always get a recommendation of AVG, ...
Don't get me wrong, I ain't dissing it - I used to use it myself for a good 3 or 4 years but 2 years ago that website I posted a link to showed a drop in it's effectiveness so I swapped to Avira. I said "...Not all Av programs are equal and not all see viruses (virii?) that others may catch...", I include Avira in that statement. I also said "Just cos you've never had one doesn't mean you dont have one" and I stand by that statement too. An effective virus, dependent on it's purpose, may well hide away and you'll never see any evidence of it's existance.

Hades_112

LAC
Avast is great but its a bit of a beast when it comes to slowing down a machine. Comodo is also good as is AVG or Microsoft Security Essentials.

If you are doing on-line gaming then not all are good for this. Some say they do really do not. I have 3 different machines in the house each with different configs due to the family doing different stuff on them.

I had to remove Avast and replace it with AVG as I was getting serious lag from a gaming server - once Avast replaced no problems.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Microsoft Security Essentials at home.

ESET Smart Security 4 at work.

Mightierthan

Corporal
AVG Free for me, Spybot S&D and WinPatrol(Scotty) which is good for managing startup programmes. All are free, all are easy to install and use and, touch wood, no nasties yet

Obi Wan

Sergeant
Avast is great but its a bit of a beast when it comes to slowing down a machine. Comodo is also good as is AVG or Microsoft Security Essentials.

If you are doing on-line gaming then not all are good for this. Some say they do really do not. I have 3 different machines in the house each with different configs due to the family doing different stuff on them.

I had to remove Avast and replace it with AVG as I was getting serious lag from a gaming server - once Avast replaced no problems.

Suprisingly I had the same problem but in reverse...........Much happier with Avast (and Maleware Bytes as a back up)

spike7451

Flight Sergeant
Suprisingly I had the same problem but in reverse...........Much happier with Avast (and Maleware Bytes as a back up)

I use Avast now instead of MSE,The only thing I don't like about Avast it all of a sudden your lappy slows down for a few minutes,then I get that 'Avast,virus database,has been updated' alert which is bloody annoying if you're in the middle of something!

Back