• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Biomedical Scientist

sutty86

LAC
Anyone got any information, on postings,training etc
any dates when its next availible
cant find anything Via Google
im currently in the process of Remustering from the Regiment.
got all the qualifications.

Thanks Garry

penfold93

Rex Craymer Man of Danger
Staff member
Subscriber
PM me your details and I will pass them onto my lab tech friends at haslar and get them to give you some info

sutty86

LAC
biomedical scientist

biomedical scientist

Hello there,
Thanks for replying,
What details would you need?
Garry

Garry, Ok where do I start? This year's recruitment has been completed and five start their basic lab course in January. I would say that there will be more recruited with interviews towards the summer although I cannot be certain, best off asking the AFCOs. Failing that, you could always contact the TSO at MDHU Porstmouth for further info. PM me some contact details and I pass them on if needed. As a trade, we are one of the two smallest trades in the RAF (with the illustrious Radiographers), thus it is a very competitive trade to enter. A large number of applicants already have the requisite degree and just require registration although this does not mean that they are guaranteed to get the job. As always, it's the person and not the fancy paperwork that counts. You say you have the qualifications required - do you mean GCSEs and A levels or do you have a degree in Biomedical Science already? If so, do you know if it is recognised by the Institute of BMS (IBMS)? Training thus depends on what qualifications you currently have. If its just A-Levels, then you will be required to undertake a 3 year P/T BMS degree (location dependant on spaces/postings) whilst working in an NHS Lab. Portfolios then need to be completed as required by Health Professions Council for BMS State Registration. A six month basic trade training course is then undertaken to familiarise yourself with all the equipment and methods utilised on deployment. This is usually a minimum time period of at least of four years till qualified and ready to deploy although I would suggest five years is a more realistic time scale. If you have the degree already and it is recognised by IBMS and HPC then training could potentially be completed within 18 months. Further training is always encouraged, the majority of BMS tri-service have MSc in either BMS or their individual disciplines. Postings are limited to MDHUs Peterborough, Portsmouth and Frimley Park and the possibility of Akrotiri as well. Anything else, give me a shout. Regards SmallesttradeinttheRAF