• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Blank Screen

• Thread starter Thread starter POB
  • Start date Start date
P

POB

I have just received this txt from a friend in NZ as I was chatting on MSN to her:

"In the dark tried to turn volume up, but I pressed the wrong button, now the screen is black. Have turned on and off but not fixed. Any ideas?"

Any sensible suggestions to save my long distance love life greatly appreciated!

Weebl

Flight Sergeant
If it is a laptop, she will have shortcutted the brightness down.

tell her to have a look at the keyboard and she should have a picture of a sun with an up arrow as an alt or a function.

Press and hold the alt or function key and the key with the picture of the sun and up arrow.

P

POB

Thanks mate. I will email her at work...Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

M

monobrow

If this is like a laptop I once had, the volume is on the Fn keys.

However there are a couple of others, on some they'll have a screen sleep (box with some Z's on), Contrast, Brightness, Volume, Sleep, CRT/LCD swith (if you got a monitor plugged in to the graphics out)

Basically, (if it is a laptop) hold the Fn key and tap all the icons that are blue (usually on the number keys). One on there will flick it back to life!

Hope that helps little POB on his adventure "down under"

TACAN

Corporal
Only other thing that comes to mind - if it is a lappy - is that she has accidently set the video output from screen to IEE connector on the back. (For LitePro etc..) On mine this is the F10 key - it has a little picture of a screen on it. If you press Fn and F10 it toggles between lappy screen, IEE connector ( blank laptop screen) and lappy screen + IEE - then back to lappy screen again. Bit of a long shot but who knows.... On mine it retains the last setting, so powering down and back up wouldn't necessarily return the display - you would have to reset as decribed above. Anyway, best of luck.....

M

monobrow

Thats the bugger!! I called it the CRT/LCD switch cos I didn't have a clue what it was actually called.

It's been a while since I owned a laptop :PDT_Xtremez_14:

TACAN

Corporal
Actually on most early laptops I think it was called the LCD/CRT button. When you latched your laptop into a docking station at home, connected to your desktop CRT monitor, you would hit the Fn + LCD/CRT button to switch to the bigger screen. Well remembered Mono ............

P

POB

Thanks very much for the advice guys. It is indeed a laptop, and as far as I know UK style, and not American. She is at work now, but I will email her and let her know your opinions!

(Little POB says "z/knZIJT;MZHGHM/ \?LK:Mkljf 'lKJF klJ ;Lkáifgk ljzjml...")

(I think he means cheers for the help, but he never got the hang of spelling or typing!!!)

M

mumof4

Thanks very much for the advice guys. It is indeed a laptop, and as far as I know UK style, and not American. She is at work now, but I will email her and let her know your opinions!

(Little POB says "z/knZIJT;MZHGHM/ \?LK:Mkljf 'lKJF klJ ;Lkáifgk ljzjml...")

(I think he means cheers for the help, but he never got the hang of spelling or typing!!!)

The image i now have in my head..is sooooo wrong!:PDT_Xtremez_42:

P

POB

I passed on all of your help, and the reply was, "Thank you to The Goat!"

Turns out it was "Fn" and F5

Thanks again!

There was another message with it (about Little POB), but it's not repeatable in this forum!

Back