• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Broadband problems

robetere

LAC
I got broadband installed in my room in the superblock. My broadband light keeps going out I lose line sync I keep losing connection. I've tried my homehub on a different line and it works fine so I know it's not the equipement.
I tried it without the filter and it worked fine for 1 day now the problem has returned again, with or with a filter. I don't have any other equipment apart from the homehub pluged into my phone line.
Anybody here had simular problems? Any ideas?

M

monobrow

[geekmode]

Right, had this problem once when my ISP decided my line was to be upgraded. They said I could get 1mb Broadband when I had 512kbps. They upgraded me and the sync light (or DSL light on some modems/routers) went off randomly.

Soooooo might be worth checking with your ISP wether you can actually use the speed they have put you on. Sometimes it's borderline, and the higher speed causes probs.

Other than that, the only reccomendations I can give is to change the ADSL filter (don't not use one, not good for the modem). Also if your using an extension, try plugging the filter directly into the wall.

Other than that would just be me guessing away! (esp. seen as I don't own a homehub)

[/geekmode]

robetere

LAC
I've got 8meg but it connects at about 4-5meg (when it is briefly working). It would be a shame to downgrade as everyone else in the same block can get 8 meg with no problems. When bt do a line test they say that there are no problems when there clearly is. I'm wondering whether the problem is with internal wiring or external. When I call bt they keep asking me to remove the front off the phone line as there is some kind of test soket within it. The only trouble is the phone soket is a mixxed sky, tv and radio socket. with no test sockets.

Last edited:
G

georgeios

it sounds like a DSL fault (broadband provision) that said i have in the past found that BT when flood wiring blocks cut corners by DAXing lines (Piggy backing them) broadband does not like this and will at times be on half power which may by why you only get 4-5 meg and your mate gets 8 you may find that one of the lads next door is the main line and you are dax'ed from his, also with the face plates bt will req to change the plate again some shared sockets can cause problems, i have problems in the past with my DSL not my home hud it is a good bit of kit if set up right but feel that BT cust services are suffering now they have moved overseas, as i was asked by 3 people to change my micro filter one after another and trying to explain that i work in IT and am not a biff that i had changed reset reinstalled everything and it was still faulty seemed to get lost in my rants..... peace.::/:

One other thing,,,, try switching everything off and leaving it for a couple of min and switch the router on leave it till its settled and then switch your bb back on, if its wirless check no1 else is robbing your connections, if your phoneing up your provider get them to ring you back on your mobile as i was asked by the BT India call center to change my micro filter whilst i was on the phone much to my Amusment....... thick tawts

Last edited:

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
Go wireless.
The BT home hub is also a wireless router.
I connect my Wii and sons Nintendo DS through it.
Other than that, I would suggest do a language course. Hindi or something like that. It's the only way you'll get a result from calling BT's helpline!

On 2nd thoughts, is your firmware up to date?
You can go into your home hub manager and check the number against BT's helpage for broadband. If its out of date it may help to update it.

robetere

LAC
I have no problem getting my computer to talk to the hub. It's just getting the hub's broadband light on steady and getting a connection to the net. I took my hub round my mates room and got the firmware updated to the latest version. 6.2.2.6

R

rottonapple

One thing to check - is the redial period set to zero (continuous)

I bought a router from fleabay and it was set to 10 mins , after 10 mins of inactivity it would auto disconnect and then have a hard time reconnecting , I had to unplug the power for a couple of mins then it would connect first time.

robetere

LAC
Problem Resolved

Problem Resolved

Just to close this thread. The problem has been fixed.
There was a problem at the exchange that was sorted out by a bt engineer.

SirSaltyHelmet

Thoroughly Nice Chap
Go wireless.
The BT home hub is also a wireless router.
I connect my Wii and sons Nintendo DS through it.
Other than that, I would suggest do a language course. Hindi or something like that. It's the only way you'll get a result from calling BT's helpline!

On 2nd thoughts, is your firmware up to date?
You can go into your home hub manager and check the number against BT's helpage for broadband. If its out of date it may help to update it.

No point in having 8meg broadband and going wireless, you only get 512 connection through most wireless routers (Homehub is 512 for defo)

robetere

LAC
It did take a few call outs, also they make you run though the same noddy trouble shooting steps each time.

One good thing is that after the first time I called them on a 0845 number they gave me a 0800 number.

One annoying thing is that it only connects at about 4meg but thats not so bad.

Last edited:

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
Mine is usually between 4.5 and 6 Meg. But, it is a far more stable connection than what AOL provided me with.
AOL constantly disconnected, not infuriating at all!!!
Every once in a while it wont connect but a simple reboot sorts that out.
Glad to see you got sorted out. It can become so time consuming and annoying trying to get it right.

gray

Sergeant
It did take a few call outs, also they make you run though the same noddy trouble shooting steps each time.

One good thing is that after the first time I called them on a 0845 number they gave me a 0800 number.

One annoying thing is that it only connects at about 4meg but thats not so bad.

It can take upto 10 days to 'train' the line equipment so it may still improve yet.

"1) Turn off your router and leave it off for at least four hours (preferably overnight) so it can retrain.

2) Once done, leave your router connected for as much as possible during the 10 day period after it has gone live.

3) Restart the router once a day.

4) Be patient - your service can/will be temperamental until BT establish the MSR. Poor performance and disconnections are very common during this time."

Gray

Back