• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Broadband Troubles

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
Been on broadband for years (various isp's but now with bt), never had any problems till now. This week (last 2 days noticeably) after about 6pm the service slows to a crawl...have to wait for minutes for pages to come up...the goat is almost unuseable ::/:

If i can be arsed and wait i can post but it takes forever.

E-mailed BT who sent an email back about removing BT socket and connecting microfilter direct but it can't be a problem with the line......during the day everything is fine.....just after about 6pm......

I'm guessing it's to do with amount of people using it after that time but was wondering if anyone else had noted a change this week ??

PTR Hoar

Sergeant
i'm with orange and i have exactly the same problem, i have a wireless hub and i have to keep disconnecting then reconnecting to the net and i get good service for like 10 mins then everything grinds to a halt and i have to reconnect again. Called orange and they say its my computer so i try the laptop, same thing. I changed their livebox for my own wireless hub same problem and orange insist there is nothing wrong on thier end but it can't be mine!

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
TM did you increase your broadband speed when you went to BT? also did you get a new microfilter or you using your old one?

Was on 1meg with BT before then went up to 8meg with new home hub and new microfilters........been working fine for about 6 months....just this week after 6pm....

FOMz

Warrant Officer
I've noticed it myself TM, normally between 6 - 8 pm. I assumed it was down to volume of people on line at that time.

rugby then work

Cider Drinker
Was on 1meg with BT before then went up to 8meg with new home hub and new microfilters........been working fine for about 6 months....just this week after 6pm....

Blows my thoughts out of the water then, Low SNR can be an issue especially if you've just upgraded to 8MB and are using an older router or microfilter, you're symptoms are classic for it. As you're on new BT kit can't see that's the problem, but if it keeps happening it may be worth looking into as lines do get degraded.

M

monobrow

Can't remember the term for it, something like contention ratio, but it's exactly what you said tashy.

The exchange will have a set bandwidth at which it can get to the net, if everyone decides to download films and stuff, it has to load share, so it does drop your bandwidth to cope with the extra traffic.

Usually it's not noticable though.

Also can your line sustain 8mb?? Reason I ask is that in swampland, me mate tried upgrading to 2mb, and he had all manner of connection and line speed problems. The reason was he was too far from the exchange to support the faster speed and had to go back to 512kbps. Although it worked for about 2 months problem free!

SirSaltyHelmet

Thoroughly Nice Chap
It is volume of traffic down the tubes. Peak time for use is the evening. Most people suffer degradation to some degree.

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
Also can your line sustain 8mb?? Reason I ask is that in swampland, me mate tried upgrading to 2mb, and he had all manner of connection and line speed problems. The reason was he was too far from the exchange to support the faster speed and had to go back to 512kbps. Although it worked for about 2 months problem free!

When i went up to 8meg the effect was noticeable and speed tests i carried out showed 7.5 meg so i was well chuffed.......now the average i get is about 5.5 which is still good enough......the other night when this first happened i did a speed check and it was about 600K !!

Will keep checking all week to see any trends.....

Thanks for all the replies......Crack on.........:PDT_Xtremez_09:

H

Homer's Right Hand Man

Can't remember the term for it, something like contention ratio, but it's exactly what you said tashy.

The exchange will have a set bandwidth at which it can get to the net, if everyone decides to download films and stuff, it has to load share, so it does drop your bandwidth to cope with the extra traffic.

Usually it's not noticable though.

Had to get BT out when I first got Broadband nearly 2 years ago. The engineer came round and disconnected the upstairs socket and advised us have as short as possible connection from the computer to the phone socket. He said that around here the exchange is too antiquated to cope with broadband and in my particular part of Quarters I won't get more than 512mb.

::/:

Had problems last night with the connection dropping and it's dropped twice this morning.

J

JetLaverick

Same

Same

Hi TM have to agree with you the last few days on BT has been sh*t, am changing to Virgin on Saturday, won't get to play with it till Sunday on the Razz i Manch on Saturday night, shed on

TrenchardsLoveSock

Flight Sergeant
Pishcali has been sh!t lately too:PDT_Xtremez_25:

Dropping connections left, right and centre and I couldn't get a connection at all the other night until gone midnight.:PDT_Xtremez_37:

I'm with Nildram who have no bandwidth throttling and the fair use policy is quite easy going compared to some of the other isp's. I've not noticed a slow down over the last few days in particular, but it does slow a little during peak.

M

mad_mo

I had a two year issue with BT over my BB speed. At the time I was living in a small village in the Northern part of the New Forest to which it was the old telegraph pole job. BT swore blind my exchange was giving me 2. something MB speed, like hell it was. I was getting the same speed as dial-up.

I discovered my local exchange was in fact over 13 miles away!.

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
I'm having the same issues with BT, sometimes it stops altogther ::/:

Their help facility is absolutely abysmal....
I will say no more :PDT_Xtremez_32:

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
I changed from AOL to BT.
AOL service was averaging 7.5MB. Trouble is it kept disconnecting randomly. Fecking annoyed the hell out of me and all AOL could do was send me quick fixes that did feck all.
I changed to BT. Got the home hub etc. The up to 8MB actually averages out to around 5.5MB. Its a hell of a good connection though. I havent been disconnected at all since changing to them last August.
They reckon its slower than AOL because its a more stable connection. On the evidence I have seen I agree.
My Bt doesnt slow down around 6-8pm though. Perhaps it does depend on the amount of people sharing your exchange. My local area isnt really densely populated like some towns/cities.
Ask em for a new BT home hub. Some of them had faults to do with power spikes apparently and caused slowness and connection issues.

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
My Bt doesnt slow down around 6-8pm though. Perhaps it does depend on the amount of people sharing your exchange. My local area isnt really densely populated like some towns/cities.

I'd hardly call ISL densly populated !

Ask em for a new BT home hub. Some of them had faults to do with power spikes apparently and caused slowness and connection issues.

But why would that ONLY take effect at certain times ??

Same happened again last night from about 5pm....gave up trying to get on at about 8pm......bored and fed up went to bed to watch sh1te tv with the wife....

TrenchardsLoveSock

Flight Sergeant
But why would that ONLY take effect at certain times ??

Same happened again last night from about 5pm....gave up trying to get on at about 8pm....
Definitely sounds like you are on an old, overused exchange. Try again much later after the people who surf in the evening have all buggered off.

......bored and fed up went to bed to watch sh1te tv with the wife....

Eeeww.:PDT_Xtremez_34: Golden shower tv too tame for you these days?:PDT_Xtremez_31:

Back