• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

BT bin Norton over Mcafee.

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
BT are now using Net Protect, Mcafee based, web protection and security instead of their Norton service.
Now at first I was dubious, I remember what a pain in the ass it was to remove Mcafee when I first went with Bt Broadband and their Norton.

I got meself a new laptop and it had a 60 day trial of Mcafee Total Protection for Small Business. Ut Oh!!!

What an utter ballache that was to remove.
Without going into the specifics it took me 3 days to eventually get Total Protection off the laptop so that the BT Mcafee Net Protect Installer would successfully install the new stuff.

My top tips if anyone else is having hassles are as follows:

You need a Mcafee removal tool. Some of these can be found via the mcafee forums. I eventually found mine through the Mcafee customer website via my other laptop which had Net Protect installed. If I hadnt had this option I'd still be trying now!

So............I used the tool to remove Mcafee Total Protection for Small Business.
This wasnt enough.

I then went to the windows button(what used to be start) typed regedit to enter the registry.
Once in the registry I looked for software and system files with Mcafee in the titles. I deleted them.
This still wasnt enough.

Add/Remove Programs. 2 icons were left in there. Removed them.

Job done!

Install commenced and now, thank fcuk, my new laptop has some form of security on it!!

On another note I had emailed BT on the first day explaining my issues. As of yet they still havent replied.
Very poor.

BT have brought this out in such a sh1t way.
First off you need to download a compatibility checker which takes a while/ages and has to be redownloaded each time you use it.

Then you run that and it tells you what to remove eg Norton, previous versions of Mcafee etc etc.

After that you have a scan to check for viruses and then you download the Mcafee stuff.

Then it installs and hopefully it tells you that the install was successful.
If not you have to go right back to the start. Fcuking annoying!!!!!!

Last edited:
D

Dink

I had the same hassles with it.

Its just typical BT. I had to deactivate the Site Advisor as it would not stop giving me pop ups that it had received an update. Every time I clicked on it it just came back again .. unbelievable.

And dont even get me started on all the Beckham fans in that call centre in India. When my Hub 2 was constantly resetting it took about 20 minutes for the idiot there to accept it had a fault.

Im off in a couple of months once the contract is up.

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
Oh thats just great! I'm getting a new PC which will come with Windows Vista and undoubtedly IE8 which Netprotect doesn't yet support. Looks like I'll need another browser, Firefox I suppose.

Chaka

Sergeant
A certain frontline RAF unit uses Mcafee and they have been down with a virus since last tuesday!

No doubt the RAF bought the up to date 2001 version!:PDT_Xtremez_30:

R_Squared

Flight Sergeant
Both Norton & McAfee are over-rated, bloated and expensive sh1te (even when given away free).

Ignore them and use any of the plethora of free and light alternatives out there and watch all your problems vanish.

Much as I still hate saying it the XP and Vista firewalls are just fine too, especially if you are sat behind a router with a firewall anyway.

Back