• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Buying an Operating System

• Thread starter Thread starter shimmeringbottom
  • Start date Start date
S

shimmeringbottom

Looking for advice on the best place to buy an OS from?....and should I choose XP or Vista..?

Thanks

cup of corrrfeee

Last edited:

Digzster

Sergeant
Questions..

Questions..

1. How old is your PC?

2. How much memory does it have?

3. What size Hard drive?

Need info to advise best.

MingMong

Warrant Officer
If you are looking to use a Microsoft OS, then Windows 7 is worth a look, considering that XP is getting old now and support will eventually be withdrawn and Vista is fairly universaly disliked.

I'm running it at the moment with no problems whatsoever so far.

ChrisBrit81

Sergeant
AMD QUAD 10.4Ghz AM3 620 2GB/500GB & GeForce8200 CVO

cheers

10.4Ghz? JESUS!!!

Win7

I'm running the AMD Quad 620, mines 2.6Ghz for some reason!?! I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate, works like a dream.

as to where to buy it from?

ebuyer.com, dabs.com, amazon.co.uk etc etc....

they're all doing deals at the moment, but mostly bundled with new PCs

Last edited:

Digzster

Sergeant
Take your pick

Take your pick

AMD QUAD 10.4Ghz AM3 620 2GB/500GB & GeForce8200 CVO

cheers

With that much under the box, the world is your oyster.

Personally, I would use a free linux myself, but I'm a bit of a saddo (I like to tell the machine what to do (not the other way around)!

I have unfortunately, installed Windows 7 on another machine a couple of months ago (by MSDN) and found that it is pretty stable. A few security holes (but then what MS product doesn't have those) but nothing major to report as yet.

Must admit I'm jealous, maybe I can persuade Mrs Digster........

S

shimmeringbottom

With that much under the box, the world is your oyster.

Personally, I would use a free linux myself, but I'm a bit of a saddo (I like to tell the machine what to do (not the other way around)!

I have unfortunately, installed Windows 7 on another machine a couple of months ago (by MSDN) and found that it is pretty stable. A few security holes (but then what MS product doesn't have those) but nothing major to report as yet.

Must admit I'm jealous, maybe I can persuade Mrs Digster........

Not got it yet, just looking at buying it. So it seems a good 'un then?

Cheers

gray

Sergeant
I'd say go for Windows 7, or XP.

There has been a spate of complaints on Windows 7, continuously rebooting, but I guess that'll be the minority........ also, Windows 7 will wipe your disk on installation (at least it used to ?) so make sure to copy any installation programs/files etc somewhere else.

Gray

Twiggles

LAC
No point looking to the past, XP may be popular but its showing its age. You're system is more than capable of running 7 so go and grab it now.

That or as suggested try a linux distro.

Teh Wal

Flight Sergeant
I have no idea, just copied what I am looking at on t'internet!
If you're that unsure about your hardware then I would advise you to stay away from OS's like Linux, Ubuntu, etc and stick with Microsoft products. Win7 would be the one to go for IMHO.

Last edited:
P

pie sandwich

I have windows 7 at the moment and I cant fault it, But make sure if you can afford it that is the windows 7 ultimate (OEM version is cheaper but no after sales support), because it is all singing all dancing, and is XP backward compatible, the other editions are not.

Twiggles

LAC
I have windows 7 at the moment and I cant fault it, But make sure if you can afford it that is the windows 7 ultimate (OEM version is cheaper but no after sales support), because it is all singing all dancing, and is XP backward compatible, the other editions are not.

Eh? They're all 'backwards compatible' to an extent, theres still the usual teething problems that any new OS has with poor third party support in the form of drivers for devices and some software.

I think you're confusing the Virtual XP mode with compatability. Virtual XP is like running a computer within a computer, so you effectively run XP alongside 7 but that then impacts on resources even before you start running applications on it.

Both Vista and 7 will run the majority of OLD XP software and games. Anything new will be fine, theres no need to shell out for the top model if you aren't going to need all the bells and whistles.

metimmee

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts

There has been a spate of complaints on Windows 7, continuously rebooting, but I guess that'll be the minority........ also, Windows 7 will wipe your disk on installation (at least it used to ?) so make sure to copy any installation programs/files etc somewhere else.

Gray

Nah, I have installed Win7 release on my laptop on the top of the previous Vista installation - no problems so far.

P

pie sandwich

Grey
Nah, I have installed Win7 release on my laptop on the top of the previous Vista installation - no problems so far.

My machine wouldn't let me upgrade over vista, so I just put it on another HDD.

Eh? They're all 'backwards compatible' to an extent, theres still the usual teething problems that any new OS has with poor third party support in the form of drivers for devices and some software.

I think you're confusing the Virtual XP mode with compatability. Virtual XP is like running a computer within a computer, so you effectively run XP alongside 7 but that then impacts on resources even before you start running applications on it.

Both Vista and 7 will run the majority of OLD XP software and games. Anything new will be fine, theres no need to shell out for the top model if you aren't going to need all the bells and whistles.

Windows 7 versions that have the ability for Virtual XP runs old XP based software therefore backward compatible, there's no confusion there. Not all versions of 7 have this feature only ultimate and professional.

This is without an ad hoc third party fix, just a direct download from Microsoft. I assume windows virtual PC with virtual XP software creates a GVM, having never used the windows virtual PC just Esx, Iam not 100% on that part.

Last edited:

sid the squid

Sergeant

Gray

I installed windows 7 ultimate and it gave the option of saving all your files or wiping the disk. It p*sses all over vista and my laptop runs a lot faster and smoother so far anyway !

ChrisBrit81

Sergeant
With regards to Windows 7, DONT install Ultimate (unless you can aquire if for free, then there's no problem)

Professional is identical in every way apart from the inclusion of BitLocker on the Ultimate version. Save your pennies and get a perfectly leagal free drive encryption software if you REALLY need one, http://www.truecrypt.org/ works great on my 16GB micro cruzer

Back