• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

C130 - Fumes in the cabin

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
Recalling my time spent on C130Ks back in the 90s, I remember that we'd occaisionally get the crews snagging the aircraft for 'fumes (or odd smells) in the cabin conditioning'. The acknowledged fix for this fault, after carrying out certain basic checks, was to replace the burners in one of the engines; which one being determined during a ground run.
So, how does a faulty burner which is downstream of the tapping for the cabin conditioning, cause fumes in the cabin? And fix the fault it did, because with new burners the smell would go away. Never quite understod that, anyone more knowledgeable than I on the subject shed any light on this?

uber pikey

Sergeant
J's are exactly the same mate, the 14th stage bleed off is the cause for the smell as it is so close to the burners it has a disturbance effect on the air flow around the burners in that area thus the burners end up cokeing(clogging up) and not having the correct fuel burn, which then ends up as unburnt fuel being tapped off through the system and through to the flight deck.

Some jockeys had a habit for snagging them, tell them you fixed it even if you had not and the smell would go away for them.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
:PDT_Xtremez_30: Blimey it must have been a very slow day today in sooty central. :PDT_Xtremez_30:

beer

SAC
In my day laddie, PRF in't 80's turbine bay, one of the checks that we had to carry out on new burner nozzles before issue was to ensure that the locking wire between the shaft and the nozzle was as straight as possible so as not to disturb the airflow which was the reason as mention previously for the fume problem -- 'e' wot a memory! :PDT_Xtremez_31:

Back