• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Calling all sooties

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
We recently did a graphic for some aircrew training and was told the Nozzle Guide Vanes were the wrong way round, since then another instructor has come on the scene and said that the NGVs are the wrong way round.

So which of these graphics shows the NGVs in the correct orientation?

AdvTHANKSance

013_011_F_001_005_10A.jpg

013_011_F_001_005_10AB.jpg

ady eflog

Harrier Mafia
1000+ Posts
Bottom diagram is correct as the NGV should present the air to the pressure face of the blade.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Could be miles out, but I agree. NGV's , as I recall, convert hot gases to kinetic energy to make the whirly things spin around as well as making sure it points in the right direction for maximum impact and to do this, they need to change the direction of the gases.

Convergent ducts!! Decrease pressure, increase velocity. You should have a wee read of the Rolls Royce book. The gas turbine bible.
I agree, the bottom diagram is correct.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Convergent ducts!! Decrease pressure, increase velocity. You should have a wee read of the Rolls Royce book. The gas turbine bible.
I agree, the bottom diagram is correct.
I lost mine at the end of training in 77.

Last edited:
Hi,

I agree that the bottom is more correct, however they do not look very convergent to me, so from a schematic point of view it can give the wrong impression.

TH

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Hi,

I agree that the bottom is more correct, however they do not look very convergent to me, so from a schematic point of view it can give the wrong impression.

TH
The picture is taken from the Aircrew Manual, they spend about 10 seconds on the NGVs so 'it will do a trip'.

art252

LAC
I agree the bottom picture is more correct but I think the angle of the nozzle blades should be rotated 45 degs clockwise to be more effective in directing the gas onto the 1st stage turbine.Then again artistic licence lets you get away with allsorts.
Arthur

Back