• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can I Rejoin

davie77

LAC
I left the Airforce at my 12 Yr Point in April 2009.

I left as an Avionics Multi-skilled Cpl with 6 yrs Seniority.

I think about me leaving every single day and it has left a huge void in my life.

I was wondering if there was any way at all with the current cut backs and the amount of time I have been absent that I would be able to rejoin.

I wouldnt even mind taking a wage and rank reduction or redoing basic training...

Last edited:

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Is it the case that you left because you didn't enjoy it and now that you have left you haven't found any work?

If so you'll still hate it.

If it's the camerarderie it will not be how it was when you left even though its not been that long...there is some serious stuff happening at the moment and it's not a pretty place to be IMO.

spike7451

Flight Sergeant
I left in 96 under options & found out when I went to join the RIR Home Service that I shouldn't have been by the recruiter at Palace Bks.

Passed the entry tests but after waiting a year due to no trade vacancies, I didn't fancy doing Swinderby/Halton again.

In hindsight it probably would've been better for me as the job's I've had since leaving,I've been made redundant from.

Good luck on the rejoin.

Shugster

Warrant Officer
Don't look back, look forward.

I missed the mob after I left, not at first but after one or two years it got quite bad. But you do get over it as the memories fade.

For you I think the bad memories have gone, (The reasons for leaving), and only the laughs and the lads remain in the foreground.

You have a good skill set as a fairy and a wide variety of jobs are potentially available to you. Civvy straße will never be the same as the mob but you have something called freedom to change jobs when you get cheesed off that more than makes up for it.

Stewie

SAC
I could be wrong here but if you come back in within two years you can come back at your old rank and retain your old number, I'd double check that though, I've been out for a while before coming back in, as someone said previuosly its not the place it once was though, good luck.

T

tacadmin

If you're aged 30 or more then it's unlikely, but approach the nearest AFCO to find out for definate.
Furthermore, If you're out > 2 years you have to re-do Phase1 Trg! Still want to do it???

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts

I missed the mob after I left, not at first but after one or two years it got quite bad. But you do get over it as the memories fade.

For you I think the bad memories have gone, (The reasons for leaving), and only the laughs and the lads remain in the foreground.

You have a good skill set as a fairy and a wide variety of jobs are potentially available to you. Civvy stra? will never be the same as the mob but you have something called freedom to change jobs when you get cheesed off that more than makes up for it.

Very true. You only remember the good times. How quickly you forget working at weekends ( I do that now but get paid extra) doing guards, cleaning up for bull nights and aocs. On exercise in the freezing weather, somewhere in germany. Lol the freedom to say know in civvy street means a lot.

davie77

LAC

You have a good skill set as a fairy and a wide variety of jobs are potentially available to you. Civvy straße will never be the same as the mob but you have something called freedom to change jobs when you get cheesed off that more than makes up for it.

Thank you Shugster This is the most informative post I could have possibly asked for... This is exactly How I think I feel at the moment. and my Emotions are running my brain.

I didnt think I could feel regret at something that passed nearly 2 yrs ago... but it does seem like you say and it appears I am not the only one.

B

bluetonic

At every leaving doo i have been to since i joined, the common theme is "I'll miss the lads, but it isn't what it used to be.."

and of course it isn't what it used to be, the job is organic, constantly changing, sometimes for the worse and sometimes even for the better, i'll wager that leaving speeches in the 1960's contained a similar rhetoric.

Even the old and bold will miss certain things if they left the service today as it stands, I for one am glad i've got a decent job, work with top lads and have to say i'm happy with my lot. Sure JPA, cutbacks, spares, red tape, politics and stackers ;-) will always be a nightmare but for me the positives well outweigh the negatives. a bit of guard? Inspection? big deal.

Good luck trying to get back in mate, Its quality. (and thats from a rigger to a fairy!)

Shugster

Warrant Officer
Thank you Shugster This is the most informative post I could have possibly asked for... This is exactly How I think I feel at the moment. and my Emotions are running my brain.

I didnt think I could feel regret at something that passed nearly 2 yrs ago... but it does seem like you say and it appears I am not the only one.

You are far from alone mate, this subject of wanting to rejoin pops up a few times every year. There are aspects that I still miss after being out for over 10 years, the RAF will always be a fond memory... getting bladdered in bars around the World, doing daft things as a liney because of a double dog dare...

But things have to move on and even the die hards who stay in forever have to leave eventually.

And thankfully this website is full of like minded people so you´re not totally out of it.

Back