• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can you......................

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
...........link one laptop to another using usb cables?

I tried to set up a wireless LAN between my 2 laptops and got completely and utterly lost!

I want to move stuff and access stuff between them.
I have usb sticks so at least I can drag drop from one to the other.

Any thoughts by someone who has maybe successfully (and easily) set up a lan?

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
Cheers Mono. I'll have a look later.
I assume its a similar procedure for Vista.
I have a BT HomeHub which is useable as a router.
I connect both separately to the net anyhow so the sharing of net connection isnt an issue.

M

monobrow

I connect both separately to the net anyhow so the sharing of net connection isnt an issue.
If thats the case, you've already done it, you just have to set up the workgroup and the share...

When doing this, remember the computer names must be different, but the workgroup must be the same...

http://www.home-network-help.com/setting-computer-name.html

Then you will have to set up a share. Do this by finding the folder you want to share, right click and there should be a Sharing option. Click it and give it a name. Now go to the other laptop and on the desktop, right click and create new shortcut.

When it asks you to enter the location enter the following (obviously filling out the placeholders..

\\[laptop_computer_name]\[share_name]
e.g.
\\lappy2\shareddocuments

Click next, next, accept, ok, etc... then double click the icon. If it hasn't picked up the share, it may be something in your firewall. They tend not to like people trying to remote access files unless permision has been granted. You'll have to look up how to set up a trusted IP range.

If you want to, you can also map a network drive to the share using the same convention as above. No real difference in accessing the files, it's just you can then set one so it is seen as a drive.

Hope this helps

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
Thanks for the tips fellas. I will hopefully get around to it later on when I can get my mitts on the other laptop.

What I have done already is set up a wireless network from each one. I have noticed that when I connect to the network from either one that access to the internet is cut off. I assume that this is so some perv cant log into it when the LAN is connected?

Those tips about shared folders and drives look handy.
I did wonder why when I connected them both that I couldnt actually see anything even though I selected folders as shared!

Back