• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Career Change to the RAF??

• Thread starter Thread starter nazeem39
  • Start date Start date
N

nazeem39

Hi All

At the minute I work in a reasonably well paying but pretty hum drum (my opinion) office job and have been thinking about a career change to the RAF for some time. I'd thought about the RAF after finishing school but opted for uni and ended up in my current job instead, which is not really the kind of thing I have any great interest in or can see myself doing for the rest of my life. I'm looking for something a bit more exciting than the 9-5, like keeping myself fit, am keen to gain practical skills and like working as part of a team so thought the RAF was a pretty natural choice. Im swaying towards a technician type role but have the following questions that I was hoping for an opinion on:

1. I'll be 27 this year, and I know this is technically not too old to join, but what is the general opinion about joining at this age?

2. I've got a small metal plate in my right leg from an accident years ago, it doesnt affect my ability in many ways and I still participate in competitive sports like kickboxing and football, but will this be a problem at medical?

3. I am colour blind, will this be a major issue for roles outside of pilot, air traffic control and anything electric?

4. I have got a degree but think I would prefer the non-officer route due to the hands on nature and chance to learn practical skills, will this be frown upon at interview stge?

Thanks a lot for reading and any thoughts/opinions much appreciated!

Cheers

NZ

K

Krusty_Crab

1. I'll be 27 this year, and I know this is technically not too old to join, but what is the general opinion about joining at this age?NZ
Not that unusual for Officers, but quite rare for other trades but that shouldn't put you off.

2. I've got a small metal plate in my right leg from an accident years ago, it doesnt affect my ability in many ways and I still participate in competitive sports like kickboxing and football, but will this be a problem at medical?
NZ
No idea, you'd have to attend the medical for that to be confirmed

3. I am colour blind, will this be a major issue for roles outside of pilot, air traffic control and anything electric?
NZ
All engineering trades need some electrical knowledge as everything is electronic these days so this will limt your choice. t will also affect your ability to operate around an airfield. Again you'll have to take the tests to see which trades are suitable

4. I have got a degree but think I would prefer the non-officer route due to the hands on nature and chance to learn practical skills, will this be frown upon at interview stage?
NZ
Plenty of airmen have degrees

Thanks a lot for reading and any thoughts/opinions much appreciated!

Cheers

NZ
Get yourself down to the AFCO as they should be able to answer all your questions.

Back