• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CD file conversion ?

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
I need to make a couple of "compilation albums", transferring tracks from a number of different CDs to another. The resultant must be read by my car and an ordinary CD player, such as the portable thing in the Radio Therapy department where I spend my time these days.

Most of the "file conversion" things seen so far seem to result in the same thing: an MP3 file.
This is not what I want at all (a .CDA?)

Can anyone please suggest a (relatively cheap) method of doing this please ?

beowulf

Sergeant
You should be able to rip them to MP3 then use something like Windows Media Centre to create what it would call "a music CD". I did that just the other month for my car as my stereo does not read MP3.

Scaley brat

Trekkie Nerd
1000+ Posts
Dude, cough out £35 to £40 for a 2gb iPod shuffle, it will give you 15 hours of playback in the radiotherapy suite.
For about £5 you can get a cassette adaptor (Like I use) to play it through your car stereo. It might work out cheaper and less "fussy" for you. :PDT_Xtremez_14:

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
Open up Windows Media Player and go to:

Tools
Options

Then select the rip music tab.

Halfway down the box is the rip settings. The first drop down box enables you to rip a CD audio disc to Windows Media Audio, which I believe is readable by any CD player? It used to be the case anyway.

Real Player have a similar facility and the free version of Nero.

Edit. Any decent CD burning software should be able to convert across any formats.

Last edited:

beowulf

Sergeant
Open up Windows Media Player and go to:

Tools
Options

Then select the rip music tab.

Halfway down the box is the rip settings. The first drop down box enables you to rip a CD audio disc to Windows Media Audio, which I believe is readable by any CD player? It used to be the case anyway.

Real Player have a similar facility and the free version of Nero.

Edit. Any decent CD burning software should be able to convert across any formats.

That is the very way I have done it in the past, I just could not be bothered retracing my steps. WM is also free with the OS!!!

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
Look up near the top right, there's a small dark arrow, click it to drop down the file menu.

Back