• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Changing my degree

• Thread starter Thread starter GreenBlackAndGold
  • Start date Start date
G

GreenBlackAndGold

Hi all
I'm currently at university coming to the end of my first year studying Chemistry. However, over the course of the year I have realised that maybe Chemistry is not the degree I want to be doing and I am thinking of restarting University and taking a History degree, I have preffered history for a long time and actualy got a better A level grade in it than chemistry. However, my ambition after I graduate is to join the RAF hopefully as a pilot. I have talked to my dad and my brother (who is joining the army and currently in the TA) about changing degree, my dad seems to be saying I should do what makes me happy but my brother reckons that if I were to drop out of chemistry after a year then it may be that when I go to OASC (or even the recruitment office) for interviews then it may go against me as they may think of it as a lack of comitment etc.

I was wondering what you guys' views on this are and whether you think that if I were to drop chemistry and restart university with a history degree in September it could possibly go against me in the future at OASC?

Thanks and hope this makes sense!

Y

Yidmister

My personal opinion is change your degree and do the one you want. When the RAF ask you why you changed you tell the truth. As long as you can justify your reason I cant see there being a problem. The Air Force does not specify what degree you must do to be a pilot, it just proves to them you have the ability to learn at that level.

Drill Bit

Sergeant
My personal opinion is change your degree and do the one you want. When the RAF ask you why you changed you tell the truth. As long as you can justify your reason I cant see there being a problem. The Air Force does not specify what degree you must do to be a pilot, it just proves to them you have the ability to learn at that level.

Agreed. You also need to make plans should you not get into the RAF; what other career would you plan to pursue and what degree would benefit you the most.

You don't want to waist 3 years on a chemistry degree, only to be told you didn't make the grade at OASC, with a fallback plan that might need some other degree.

G

GreenBlackAndGold

Yidminster said:
As long as you can justify your reason I cant see there being a problem

My justifiction would be really that I originally applied for and studied chemistry as I saw it as having a wider potential post graduation than history. However, after about 1/2 a year I began to question whether it really was the right degree for me, I wasn't enjoying it and I was struggling quite a lot in some areas. I want to swap to history as I have always enjoyed it and having achieved my highest A level grade in history it seems to me the right degree for me and where I want to be!

Drill Bit said:
Agreed. You also need to make plans should you not get into the RAF; what other career would you plan to pursue and what degree would benefit you the most.

To be honest my back up plan at the minute is to join the Army as an Officer in either the Artillery or RAC if I don't get into the RAF as a pilot (please don't rib me too much!) so it's not so much of a problem, as long as switching degree wouldn't affect the army either!!

Thanks for your help and if anyone else has any other advice then feel free to comment :PDT_Xtremez_19:

K

Kilo Tango

I dropped out of a biff degree in Media Studies after one year to go on, a year later, to do PPE with the Open University in my spare time. In subsequent job interviews (including RAF airmen selection interview) I haven't found it has held me back at all. That might be because I went from an utterly pointless degree to a fairly useless, but posh sounding one, I'll never know!!!

I think admitting when you have got something wrong shows maturity and accountability and as long as you can explain your reasons you should be fine. I am sure that the RAF would rather have Pilots who can adapt to changing situations rather than stick with a poor plan!

Good luck :)

pad_brat

LAC
Mate iv just finished a degree i hate! If you don't enjoy something, dont do it!:PDT_Xtremez_25:

There is only so much jeremy kyle you can watch, I had the pleasure of an AOSB before i went to university and then an informal interview with the RAF, i thought i knew best and ignored all the advice they gave me about doing something you dont enjoy and just did it.

From a recent graduate and a member of the reserve forces that is applying for the regulars do what YOU wanna do!

(with the exception of engineering officers that are far brighter than myself, the forces are accommodating of all us faux intelectuals for better or for worse)
:PDT_Xtremez_30:

Last edited:
Back