• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Civilian Aircraft Engineering License - B1

• Thread starter Thread starter Natural_Wastage
  • Start date Start date
N

Natural_Wastage

Just wondering if there are any others on the goat who are doing/have completed their part-66 B1 / B2 license.

I'm underway with the academics but I'm starting to think about logging my experience for when the time comes to apply for my license. I'll have been in 12 years so I'm hoping to get the full 4 years knocked off the 5 needed.

Not too sure the best way to log experience. Especially as I've just been posted and have nothing noted for the last 5.5 years at my last tour (only just committed myself to a future as a civvy techie). I'm getting conflicting advice about the level of detail needed.

Do I need to be listing SNOW's for every task no matter how small? Or just the 'big jobs' i.e. major components/rects/diagnosis etc.

Or is it just a description of primary duties a la assessments signed by an EngO for each tour?

Or just discharge papers?!

If any of you have any experience of applying to the CAA for your license or are in the same boat as me it'd be good to hear from you. I'd rather find out now than a couple of years down the line. Should I be booking some leave to visit the docs archive at my old unit?!:raf:

I'm currently 2/3 of the way through my B2 modules. Speaking to ex forces guys on a recent work experience trip, the CAA will want to see a completed PDR detailing the aircraft systems you have had experience of working on. It might be worth photocopying job cards from now on and putting them into ATA chapter order. But mainly seeing an up to date and completed PDR was the main thing the CAA were looking for, although it seems to depend on which side of the bed the CAA guy got out of, as to whether the full four year reduction in experience is granted.

Good luck

N

Natural_Wastage

Cheers Ghandi,

That's one of the lines I've heard. I've also heard that they don't want much. I'm beginning to notice a pattern with the CAA!

I just got a link to the CAP741 (Aircraft Engineers Logbook) as sold by the CAA in .pdf format. If you're interested give me a PM. I'm going to start logging my helicopter experience from now on. It seems easy enough to do from now on, just a bit tricky for the last 5 years...

Natural,

Left the mob in 2005 with all licence modules passed. Now hold full B1 (and B2 pending) licenses with multiple Airbus and Boeing type ratings. Currently working as a LAE on the line for a large MRO.

The CAA will want to see:

Some kind of logbook/worksheets documenting your military experience which must be authenticated by an EngO. List aircraft types, registrations, dates and type of jobs undertaken. CAP741 is perfectly acceptable and straightforward to use.

Copies of all training certificates and trade related qualifications.

Copy of your discharge papers.

If all the above is in order and to the CAA's liking you may qualify for the maximum 4 year reduction in experience requirements. You will then need to demonstrate a minimum of 1 year experience as a mechanic on the tools on civilian aircraft in an approved maintenance organisation to meet the requirements for licence issue. The civvy experience must be relevant to the licence category being sort, i.e. large passenger aircraft for a B1.1 Aeroplanes-Turbine Engines AML.

N

Natural_Wastage

Some kind of logbook/worksheets documenting your military experience which must be authenticated by an EngO. List aircraft types, registrations, dates and type of jobs undertaken. CAP741 is perfectly acceptable and straightforward to use.

So do I need to give a rolling list of SNOW's or is it OK to say have an EngO sign to say I'm competent? Like in the CAP741 Section 2.2 Basic Skills section... i.e.

Assist lowering/jacking
Engine boroscope
Remove / fit hyd components
EDP Change
Engine Change

etc and have the EngO sign off each one to say I'm 'competent'? This will be much easier for my previous tour as I wont be able to get older SNOWs. I can try to add as many SNOWs to the Section 3.2 Maintenance Experience section as possible.

From today onwards it will be much easier to document my work as I'll know I need to keep on top of it!

I Look Like Kevin Costner

Grand Prix fanatic..
DH advised me about the PDR recording 18 months ago. I was in the same situation with unrecorded infomation of experience. I used the electronic PDR forms and sent electronic copys to the 3 different line managers that I could locate either by contacts or by Outlook on the Intranet (with a covering e-mail / letter with the reasons). They all obligde with letters of authenticity for the various tours.

Wherever they will have any impact? I will find out nearer the time when I can apply.

Get the modules done.

N

Natural_Wastage

I'm starting with the modules now. Got a great book for the first four modules which has kick started my maths and my first few modules from Barry College turn up some time this week...

If you don't mind me asking what was covered in the letters of authenticity?

I Look Like Kevin Costner

Grand Prix fanatic..
I'm starting with the modules now. Got a great book for the first four modules which has kick started my maths and my first few modules from Barry College turn up some time this week...

If you don't mind me asking what was covered in the letters of authenticity?

That I had done what I had put on the PDR experience sheets at the dates I had done. The PDR hasn't got the spaces for authorization signatures and I didn't have the CAP 741 (I do for when I start civvy street). I have no idea if the CAA will take the slightest interest in them, but its the best of a bad deal.

Its a shame I cannot find my original blue book from the first third of my career. That book was kept up to date.:PDT_Xtremez_26:

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
Forgive me if I am quoting too old a Form, but...
On my old Form 7403 Record of Experience I wrote (against Whirlwind HAR Mk 10's!)

"Member of a Scheduled Servicing Team carrying out Minor and Major servicing checks, including:
Assisting in engine removal and fitment;
Removal, Servicing, Fitment and Adjustment of entire Transmission system from Lay-Rub unit to Tail Rotor Blades;
Structural Repairs (Skin, Frame and Stringer manufacture and replacements);
Removal and replacement of Windscreens;
Fitment and testing of Hydraulic Rescue Winch Packs;
Removal, Inspection and Replacement of Tail Boom and Tail Pylon;
Removal, Inspection and Fitment of Main and Nose Wheel assemblies, Undercarriages Units and Mounting Brackets;
Removal, Inspection and Fitment of "Bag" type fuel tanks;
Removal Inspection Fitment and Testing of Hydraulic components and Systems;
Removal, fitment and Rigging of Rod and Cable Control systems;
Rigging of Main and Tail Rotor Control Systems:
Raising and Lowering of aircraft on Jacks."

You'll have to change a few words about, but if can get your bosses to sign up to it, this is perfectly acceptable to the CAA as a list in another "authority's" format.

What you have to demonstrate to the CAA is a "fair spread" of experience over your time in the services - not just a list of SNOW's. You can do that by aircraft type and Station (as above) or by ATA Chapter througout your career. Both formats should be acceptable as this is not a CAA Record Book.

I believe you may only submit your RAF PDR to the CAA on your initial application - unless you have civil type work experience. Although it is your appplication and your preference.

Back