• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Commissioning from within the RAF as an NCO

Astyanax

LAC
Hi there I’m in the process of joining the RAF as an ICT technician; I start Halton in just over two weeks and am really looking forward to it. All of the details have been made clear to me, I do however have some questions regarding becoming a commissioned officer after completing trade training.
I’ve been told by my AFCO that you’d be looking at 4 years service before being able to apply for officer training but I’m not sure whether there are any other requirements. I’d also like to know what being a commissioned officer entails and what rank you would receive after completing officer training.
As you can see I’m a bit of a blank slate when it comes to this subject so if anyone could help me fill some of the holes in my knowledge that would be really appreciated.

//Glen / Astyanax

Soon To Leave

Proud To Serve
To be honest, in your position I would concentrate on getting your training done before considering a commission. When you've passed out of training and start working your trade, you'll be able to see what commissioned officers actually do and you can make an informed choice.
Meanwhile, you can start preparing for commissioning by reading up on RAF history, the SDR, DDR current and future aircraft etc. Ensure your fitness levels are high as you should ideally be reaching level blue as you are expected to lead from the front.

Good luck!

Astyanax

LAC
Thanks for the advice Soon to Leave kind of made me realise I've got a long way to go and should be focusing on my training rather than something that is rather intangible right now.

Thanks again

//Glen / Astyanax

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
STL has given you the correct advice for you to follow at this stage which you ought to take heed of. However, there's nothing wrong with having a goal. Once you get out of the factories and into the real RAF, discuss the Basic Engineering Scheme (BES) with your Flt Cdr. The BES is designed for personnel in the technical trades who are looking at commissioning. But that's something for a few year's time. Concentrate on the first bits for now, ie getting through training in the first place.

Good luck.

engchimp

LAC
Great advice in the above replies, concentrate on showing you have what it takes to be an officer, take on secondary duties, do some voluntary work and keep your nose clean. I was commissioned as an SAC and these stood me in good stead, big ticks on my OASC report. Was hard work but it pays off! Doing a few years in the ranks enables you to graduate IOT as a Flying Officer and 18 months later you can be promoted to Flight Lieutenant. Good luck and stick in!