• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Connecting to another server

shiny_arse

SAS Inspector
IT gurus - your advice needed please.

Have recently come out of the stone age at home and managed to persuade BT to unblock my phone number in order to install broadband into a poor quality area.

Thats all worked out fine and can now finally surf the goat properly and view everything that IGS says No to.

My question however is reference the wife, she has a works laptop that connects via it's own server to their HQ. Is there a way of being able to utilise the router (Voyager 220) that was supplied to me by BT. Tried it last night by being connected via Ethernet to my machine, whilst she tried to log on through her machine via the router using the USB cable to no effect.

So is there a way of allowing 2 laptops to use the same router allowing access to the broadband which allows me to play around on the goat whilst she can utilise the speed in order to get an decent connection to her works server??

Cheers

M

monobrow

Looks like you can use USB OR Ethernet, not both.

Just got up the specs online, here it goes....

The BT Voyager 220v connects one computer to broadband via either Ethernet or USB port. Two telephony ports offer further connectivity options.

• Ideal for 1 user.
  • Gives you the option to make calls over the Internet with an optional subscription to Business Broadband Voice.
  • Inclusive for BT Business Broadband Option 2, 3 or Network customers

From here -> http://www.btbroadbandoffice.com/broadband/option-1/router-information/220v-product-details

CodeMonkey

Flight Sergeant
You could use a network switch, each laptop is connected to the switch and one of the other ports to connect to the router

Major Geek

Sergeant
Just had a quick look at the spec for a 220 and it has VPN pass through(which your wifes machine probably uses) however it also says "No software to install on computer when using Ethernet socket" and you said you connected via USB so did you install any software (drivers) for that? Have you tried yours via USB and hers via ethernet?

shiny_arse

SAS Inspector
Just had a quick look at the spec for a 220 and it has VPN pass through(which your wifes machine probably uses) however it also says "No software to install on computer when using Ethernet socket" and you said you connected via USB so did you install any software (drivers) for that? Have you tried yours via USB and hers via ethernet?

Set my PC up two nights ago using the software provided by BT and ticked the ethernet connector. The wife then last night installed the same software ticking the USB connection. Both machines connections lit up green on the router, but rather than logging onto BT Yahoo broadband using my passwords, she instead needs to connect through to her companys server. Tried setting up a network connection using a VPN?? number 0,38, but nowt happened.

It could well be she might just have to do what she was doing previously which was just sticking through the phone connector and using the dial up modem on her PC. However that then means piddling around at 56kps which takes her hours to do anything. Will having broadband installed get her a faster speed by just doing that??

SirSaltyHelmet

Thoroughly Nice Chap
You may find your firewall is blocking access to the VPN. As long as you have a connection to the tinterweb, then you should be able to reach her VPN

shiny_arse

SAS Inspector
Thanks to all and for the follow up SSH. Will take this all back with me and get it sorted out.

Cheers :PDT_Xtremez_30:

Back